- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00488
- Closing Date: 25 June 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
We’re moving forward into the next chapter of our Society’s history with a refreshed strategy that allows us to leverage the benefits of mutuality and adapt to the ever-changing needs of our members. Data underpins all five of our cornerstones and is a key enabler towards achieving our ambition of building society, nationwide. We’re transforming the way we look after and use member and business data, and that is why we’re creating new roles as an important step in strengthening the data competence we need to realise the opportunity that data presents for our members and colleagues.
The Architecture domain is a vibrant and growing department within the Resilience and Agility Community of Nationwide with a challenging mandate to architect and assure the delivery of an effective, well governed and innovative data architecture that enables pragmatic solutions.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
What you’ll be doing
Working within our Architecture Domain, you’ll be accountable for defining the data architecture for major change initiatives, and ensuring solutions align with our architecture.
Specifically, you will be required to:
- Own the enterprise data architecture and its use in all purposes, including data reference architecture, design materials, and roadmaps
- Gain approval of these outputs from Architects, executive sponsors and executive level governance boards such as the Technical Design Authority
- Lead on the data architecture on a variety of projects on behalf of the Architecture function
- Develop and maintain your network of architecture peers to ensure architectures and strategies are being communicated, understood and followed
- For simple, non-complex sourcing work, govern decisions to ensure alignment to Business, IT Strategies and relevant Architecture standards
- Provide specialist consultancy and advice on complex tasks, business functions and delivery solutions
You’ll be an individual who is armed with good experience of solution architecture with a data focus. You'll be familiar with the delivery of data centric solutions, with a particular focus on customer data. An understanding of data technologies or data modelling techniques is also required. You’ll have used architecture frameworks and methods to successfully deliver change as an architect.
You will be able to demonstrate the following core competencies:
Leadership - You will inspire trust and be able to properly motivate, influence and support decisions. You will be able to communicate clearly with stakeholders across the organization and set an example for your colleagues.
Collaboration and Growth - You will be able to ensure that knowledge, ideas, opinions, and experience are properly represented in common principles, guidelines, structures and plans and share this with your colleagues in the practice.
Dealing with Complexity - You will be able to demonstrate your ability to reduce complex information to essentials and to clearly and concisely communicate complex concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
Organisation - You will be able to facilitate the process in which responsibilities are assigned properly within the organisation and you will be able to plan your own and, where appropriate, others time and resources effectively
As a skilled Data Architect you will have some or all of the following skills and knowledge:
- Experience in technology architecture of information disciplines, including: solution architecture for mid-size projects, the management of customer data, data lifecycle management and master data management.
- Experience of pragmatic approaches to Data Architecture across data technologies including: MongoDB, Kafka, MS SQL Server, or, cloud platforms such as Azure and AWS.
- Any data modelling experience in; ER modelling, Kimball methods and big data modelling
- An understanding or the ability to quickly gain an understanding of our core systems and strategic direction
- Experience in creating and managing documentation materials appropriate to the audience and situation that enables our architectural vison to be realised
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.