DevOps Engineer – Azure
DevOps Engineer – Azure
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00551
- Closing Date: 21 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible and part-time working approaches for this role
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in Technology Transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need skilled Engineers to work in our agile digital hubs.
The Nationwide technology strategy balances the need to build for the future with strengthening our core platforms. It will leverage key technologies such as Cloud and APIs to enable digital journeys and platforms for business model innovation, allowing us to generate insight from our data using analytics and AI. Our investment in our branches and digital channels will create the best blend of human and digital service for our members. We need high-performing individuals to support this transformation.
What you’ll be doing
Day-to-day you will be utilising your experience of delivering first-class solutions in an Agile environment within the nationwide.co.uk team. You will be involved in mentoring where needed and help to build our development process and strategies. You will drive continuous improvements and promote best practice in your team through your actions and behaviours. You will need drive to become an SME within the technologies and applications you are responsible for and own the relationship with those business areas. With the understanding of the end-to-end process from a technical perspective, you will work closely with the Technology Lead, helping to deliver solutions that meet their requirements.
We want you to nurture and value proactive habits and to develop contacts and relationships, so things are done faster and more efficiently. We will expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
This will entail designing, building and automating highly scalable systems used by millions every day, and working with the most up-to-date technologies to deliver real change. A team player who can lead by example, you’ll log issues as they’re discovered, and take end-to-end ownership for developing and implementing solutions. You’ll also nurture and develop contacts and relationships to enable things to be done faster and more efficiently. Essentially, it’s about getting stuck in and having a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
You may be required to work on-call from time to time.
If you have some of the following skills, we are keen to hear from you.
- Good working knowledge of modern development practices and emerging technologies such as cloud-native architectures, DevOps engineering and container based continuous delivery, cloud automation and infrastructure-as-code using terraform.
- Working knowledge with public cloud preferably Microsoft Azure
- Familiarity with managing containerised services, including container orchestration and pod networking
- Efficient and confident communicator
- Ability to study and quickly learn, putting into practice new methods, ways of working, tools, and technologies
- Experience of actively participating in software infrastructure design with exposure of DevOps practices, Site Reliability Engineering and Agile methodologies
- Experience supporting and monitoring Production environments – ability to diagnose faults/failures efficiently and find solution.
Knowledge of the following tools and technologies would be desirable:
- Experience with Azure SQL, Azure APPGateway, Frontdoor, APIM, AKS
- Azure Devops
- Containers & provisioning, Docker/Kubernetes/Openshift
- AWS hosted features (IAM, EC2, S3 Lambda, EKS, VPCs, Route53 etc), CDN /CloudFront
- Git source control
- Linux/Bash/Powershell experience
- Terraform or similar
- Kibana / ElasticSearch
- Windows/Linux VMs
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.