Senior Front End Developer
Senior Front End Developer
- Location(s): UK Wide, The Post Building (London)
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00555
- Closing Date: 06 August 2021
The Home Propositions team are a vibrant, lively team, extremely passionate about technology and we are totally committed to helping London's renters. We're fully funded by Nationwide Building Society and we are growing rapidly with plans to double our team by the end of the year.
We are looking for a Senior Front End Developer who has the passion and skill to work across our various product lines within our exciting business. We’ve got a pretty impressive team on board already, so you’ll be working with some of the best within a collaborative and thriving environment.
We are a hard working bunch but we make sure we're enjoying each other's company both in and outside of the office, with plenty of socials and opportunities to unwind after busy days.
We’re big supporters of flexible working and will leave it up to you to decide where you call ‘the office’, be it home, a coffee shop or our London-based office. We do like to meet once a week in Nationwide’s tech hub in the Post Building located in Holborn, London. We also come together for events such as agile ceremonies, socials on our rooftop garden, product launches and other milestone events.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
We’re moving fast in the Home Propositions team to get prototypes, concepts and apps live, so we're looking for an Engineer (Front End Developer) who is responsible for the creation of technical artefacts to deliver team objectives that are aligned to engineering principles and the architectural strategy.
As a Front End Developer you will be working closely with a cross-functional creative and technical team on a range of new projects using cutting-edge technologies. Strong communication skills are essential with the ability to work alongside the wider team on tight deadlines with a well organised, detailed and accurate manner. You will part of a dynamic, agile and rapidly growing environment, where your creativity and innovation is valued, delivering high quality code within a test driven environment.
- Identifying and implementing technical artefacts to meet the team objectives.
- Providing technical expertise at parts and/or all stages of the delivery lifecycle
- Participating in technical collaboration activities
- Enforcing standards and providing governance and contribute to process improvement
- Identifying and escalating dependencies, risks and exceptions that will affect implementation of technical artefacts
- Sharing knowledge with peers to contribute to the growth of knowledge within engineering
- Working with stakeholders to shape artefacts from the outset of a project
- Competent knowledge in React, HTML5, CSS3, Webpack, ES7
- Source control software such as Gitlab, GitHub
- An understanding of the principles of UX Design
- Ability to provide simple, easy to support technical solutions
- Experience with networking / API’s
- High level of analytical skills, turning meaningful analysis into recommended actions
- Problem solving, investigative skills
- Although not essential it’d be advantageous if you have experience working with the following: GraphQL, Rest endpoints, TDD
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. The interview process will involve a first stage technical screening call, followed by a technical take home task which will form part of the final stage part competency based interview.