Senior Full-stack Developer
Senior Full-stack Developer
- Location(s): UK Wide, The Post Building (London)
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00606
- Closing Date: 04 August 2021
We’re the Home Propositions team, sitting within the Strategy community at Nationwide Building Society. We’re a team of 40+ (and growing!) passionate experts in our various disciplines, focused on improving the lives of renters and landlords. We’re a new team, building digital products that help everyone in the private rental sector, and supporting those products with a range of engagement activities with the Government and the wider market.
We’re a vibrant, lively team with a start-up vibe, based in the heart of London. We’re on a mission to improve the rental market.
We are looking for a Full Stack Senior Software Engineer to join our Rentals team who has the passion and skill to work across our various product lines within our exciting business. We’ve got a pretty impressive team on board already, so you’ll be working with some of the best within a collaborative and thriving environment.
We are a hard working bunch but we make sure we're enjoying each other's company both in and outside of the office, with plenty of socials and opportunities to unwind after busy days.
We’re big supporters of flexible working and will leave it up to you to decide where you call ‘the office’, be it home, a coffee shop or our London-based office. We do like to meet once a week in Nationwide’s tech hub in the Post Building located in Holborn, London. We also come together for events such as agile ceremonies, socials on our rooftop garden, product launches and other milestone events.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
We’re moving fast in the Rentals team to get prototypes, concepts and apps live, so we're looking for an Senior Engineer who is responsible for the creation of technical artefacts to deliver team objectives that are aligned to engineering principles and the architectural strategy.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be working closely with a cross-functional creative and technical team responsible for building an innovative personal finance application. Strong communication skills are essential with the ability to take the lead and work alongside the wider team on tight deadlines with a well organised, detailed and accurate manner. You will be part of a dynamic, agile and rapidly growing environment, where your creativity and innovation is valued. You’ll also share your knowledge, coach more junior members of the team.
On any one day you could find yourself:
- Writing code
- Designing a new service to meet the requirements of a new feature
- Performing code reviews, promoting clean code practices and coaching junior members of the team
- Providing technical expertise in a design workshop
- Defining, implementing or improving processes and the ways in which we work
- Assessing and spiking new technologies to ensure we use the best tool for the job
- You’re an excellent team player who can also step in and lead from the front when called up on
- You like to get stuck in and solve problems; where you might not know that answer, you know how to find it
- You’re passionate about quality and pride yourself on writing clean code
- You champion modern practices such as TDD/BDD and CICD
- You’re a ferocious learner who can pick up new languages and technologies
- You have experience owning and delivering scalable cloud-based applications using some of the following technologies: AWS, Kubernetes, GraphQL, React/React Native
- You’re excited by the prospect of working in a fast-paced agile start-up combined with the security and benefits of working for a company that puts its members first
Nice to haves:
- Exposure to pair programming
- Golang programming experience
- Mobile native application development
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.