Senior Design Researcher
Senior Design Researcher
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00610
- Closing Date: 06 August 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
It’s an exciting time for research at Nationwide as we build and develop our Member Research strategy. And we’re now looking for Senior Design Researchers to join our Service and Experience Design team and contribute to our growing research community.
We’ll need you to be infectiously passionate about all things related to Design Research and in helping multidisciplinary teams to create exceptional insight led services. You’re likely to be an experienced Design Researcher who has lead and conducted experience research at service level.
You’ll be able take insight from research and communicate it in a way that engages, influences and helps the business make the right decisions for users. But you’ll also understand the importance of navigating research in a commercial environment. And you’ll be a natural collaborator, working with stakeholders to scope, plan and get buy-in for service experience research, as well as working with teams to uncover opportunities, inform service experiences and drive value for our members.
While your core focus will be on Design Research, you’ll be joining a community of researchers with a broad range of experience that also includes Market Research, Strategic Foresight, Data and Analytics and Brand Research.
As our name suggests, here in Service & Experience Design, we’re responsible for defining, designing and delivering frictionless, useful experiences that help our members manage their money and look after what matters to them in life. We research, we iterate, we craft, we strive – and we do it all to make sure our members have experiences that are memorable, for all the right reasons, on every channel.
What you’ll be doing
As Senior Design Researcher, you could find yourself working on an exciting new proposition or service, or leading and delivering research for one of our Mission workstreams. Working with stakeholders from across the business, you’ll scope and shape research plans that support both the needs of our users and the business, ensuring the quality and efficiency of research. You’ll be working collaboratively with key stakeholders to ensure buy-in and understanding of Design Research. We’d also look to you to provide research mentoring and coaching to less experienced researchers.
The scope of projects you may be involved in spans end to end journeys and services, so there will be no shortage of opportunities for you to develop your research skills across a broad range of experiences.
One day you may be running discovery research to uncover user needs or conducting ethnography research in one of our branches or contact centres; another day you could be facilitating an ideation session building on insight collected, or scoping out a new proposition evaluation study. This will be a varied role and we’ll encourage you to try new techniques and help us to develop new ways of working too.
We work in a multi-disciplinary environment so you’ll be collaborating closely with Product Owners, Proposition Managers, Service and Experience Designers (UX, UI and Content), Developers, Analysts and other researchers.
You’ll be using a range of research methodologies to help us understand and design for the needs of our members. From discovery research through to service optimisation, we want you to be involved in all parts of the research process.
You’ll help us find engaging and innovative ways of presenting research findings and in demonstrating the value of service and design research.
We want you to have opportunities to grow and develop your research skills, so we’ll also encourage and support you to experiment and try new things.
This is a great opportunity help shape and develop our growing research function and capability.
To join the team as Senior Researcher, you’ll need:
- Practical experience of leading service level Design Research at a senior level, ideally across projects that have multiple workstreams
- In-depth experience of research planning and scoping
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of operationalising Design Research and in embedding Design Research processes
- Service level Design Research experience – not just digital
- Hands-on experience across a broad range of research methodologies, both generative and evaluative
- Experience of facilitation and actioning insight, for example through ideation, co-creation and concept testing
- Experience with quantitative research
- Experience of working in a research role as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Examples of where you have demonstrated the value of research to users and the business
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- A broad knowledge of User-Centred Design as well as Service Design processes and principles
- Great relationship building skills – you understand the importance of building great relationships and connections with stakeholders from across the business to get buy-in for research
- Delivering research with a focus on business outcomes as well as user needs
- Experience in coaching and mentoring others in research approaches and strategy
If you have experience in any of the following, even better:
- Conducting research within agile ways of working
- Research for Vulnerability, Accessibility and Inclusivity
- Behaviour change
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application and if you’ll be moving forwards to a remote assessment.