Principal Design Researcher
Principal Design Researcher
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00611
- Closing Date: 06 August 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
It’s an exciting time for research at Nationwide as we build and develop our Member Research strategy. And we’re now looking for Principal Design Researchers to join our Service and Experience Design team and contribute to our growing research community.
We’ll need you to be infectiously passionate about all things related to Design Research at a service level (not just digital) and in helping multidisplinary teams to create exceptional insight led experiences. We’ll need you to have extensive industry experience in leading and managing Design Research across large programmes of work. And have many examples to share of how you have embedded Design Research processes and ways of working across those programmes.
You’ll be able take insight from research and communicate it in a way that engages, influences and helps the business make the right decisions for users. You have a wealth of experience in navigating research within a commercial environment. And you’ll be a natural collaborator, working closely with stakeholders at all levels to scope, plan and get buy-in for Design Research, as well as working with teams to uncover opportunities, inform service experiences and drive value for our members.
While your core focus will be Design Research, you’ll be joining a community of researchers with a broad range of experience that also includes Market Research, Strategic Foresight, Data and Analytics and Brand Research.
As our name suggests, here in Service & Experience Design, we’re responsible for defining, designing and delivering frictionless, useful experiences that help our members manage their money and look after what matters to them in life. We research, we iterate, we craft, we strive – and we do it all to make sure our members have experiences that are memorable, for all the right reasons, on every channel.
What you’ll be doing
As Principal Researcher, you’ll be shaping and managing research for one of our Missions or larger programmes of work. Working with stakeholders, you’ll develop, prioritise and shape the programme research backlog and create research plans that support both the needs of our users and the business. You’ll ensure the quality and efficiency of research conducted by you and other researchers across the programme. You’ll be working collaboratively with key stakeholders to ensure buy-in and understanding Design Research. We’ll also look to you to provide Design Research mentoring and coaching to less experienced researchers, as well as colleagues across the business.
The scope of projects you may be involved in spans end to end journeys and services, so there will be no shortage of opportunities for you to utilise your Design Research expertise across a broad range of experiences.
We work in a multi-disciplinary environment so you’ll be collaborating closely with Product Owners, Proposition Managers, Service and Experience Designers (UX, UI and Content), Developers, Analysts and other researchers. We’ll also look to you to be the voice of Design Research with the programme senior leadership team.
You’ll help us find engaging and innovative ways of delivering and sharing research, and in demonstrating the value of Design Research at a programme level.
And to help us develop and mature our practice of Design Research across Nationwide.
This is a great opportunity to help shape and develop our growing Design Research function and capability.
To join the team as Principal Researcher, you’ll need:
- Extensive industry experience of shaping, managing and conducting Design Research across large programmes of work
- A wealth of practical experience in conducting Design Research across a broad range of research methodologies, both generative and evaluative
- Broad experience in service level Design Research - not just digital – and a wide toolkit for communicating and sharing service level Design Research
- Expert knowledge and experience of prioritising and operationalising Design Research at a programme level, and in embedding Design Research processes
- Extensive experience of stakeholder management and getting buy-in for Design Research
- Extensive experience of workshop facilitation and leading teams in actioning insight
- Experience with quantitative research as well as qualitative
- Considerable experience in demonstrating the value of research to users and the business, and examples to demonstrate where your Design Research has helped inform strategic decisions
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Strong examples of delivering Design Research with a focus on business outcomes as well as user needs
- Demonstrable experience of leading, coaching and mentoring Design Researchers
If you have experience in any of the following, even better:
- Conducting research within agile ways of working
- Research for Vulnerability, Accessibility and Inclusion
- Design Research training
- Behaviour change
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- Car allowance
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application and if you’ll be moving forwards to a remote assessment.