Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00614
- Closing Date: 26 October 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in IT transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need a skilled Engineer to work within our Everyday Banking teams.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
You may be required to work on-call on the rare occasion.
What you’ll be doing
We are looking for a Senior Engineer to work within our Every Day Banking Team within Hassle Free Money to help define and create member-focused experiences across our products.
Day-to-day you’ll be exploiting your experience of delivering first-class solutions in an Agile environment. You’ll be involved in mentoring where needed and help to build our development process and strategies. You’ll drive continuous improvements and promote best practice in your team through your actions and behaviours. You will need drive to become an SME within the technologies and applications you are responsible for and own the relationship with those business areas. With the understanding of the end-to-end process from a technical perspective, you will work closely with the Technology Lead, helping to deliver solutions that meet their requirements.
- Solid software engineering experience, preferably with strong expertise in one of the following: React, C#/.Net, NodeJS
- Experience of working within a DevOps environment and a good working knowledge of the associated tooling, particularly Jenkins
- Proven ability to be accountable for engineering decisions within a technical environment
- Strong understanding of the development lifecycle and experience of working in Agile development methodologies
- An understanding of API Gateways such as Apigee would be useful
- Comfortable with peer reviews
- The ability to quickly learn and work with new tools
- Drive to continuously innovate and improve
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Prior financial services experience would be advantageous, but not essential
- Working knowledge of NoSQL technologies such as MongoDB
- Experience of TDD and unit testing
- Understanding of Containerisation technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience in Cloud services, such as AWS, Azure or Google Cloud
- Experience of API-driven and microservices-based architectures
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.