Engineering Manager - Industry API Hub
Engineering Manager - Industry API Hub
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00619
- Closing Date: 08 August 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in Technology Transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need skilled Engineers and Engineering Managers to work in our agile digital hubs.
- Engineering Manager, within the Engineering Centre of Excellence
- Flexible location
- Permanent, full-time and flexible 35 hour a week contract, with clear pathways to further development and promotion
We are building on our current digital solutions across the Nationwide systems estate with a set of modern technologies and we need an engineering manager who can build out and look after one of the Industry API Hub teams of designers, developers, test and infrastructure engineers, at junior and senior levels.
What you’ll be doing
- Motivating the team, including goal / objective setting, coaching, mentoring, training, feedback + performance management
- Management of resource scheduling and work progress reporting, where you will be creating and maintaining a collaborate environment which is mindful of Agile practices.
- Line managing a team, especially interested in the core skills needed for helping a team of engineers reach their potential and delivering successful projects
- Hands on technical work as required, depending on area of specialism
We would like an Engineering Manager with
- Extensive experience of managing teams effectively.
- Career management of a team of 10+ setting objectives, aiding career progression and enabling training.
- Experience in Agile, planning and resource management
- Matrix management environment experience.
- A technical mindset and the ability to get hands on within projects.
As the EM1 role is a hybrid role involving both line management and some technical input, it would also be good if you had some technical skills and expertise. Knowledge or experience of one or more of the following would be particularly valuable:
- Experience of carrying out both functional and non-functional testing, in particular around the creation and maintenance of automation frameworks
- Familiarity with test-related tools such as Selenium, SOAP UI/Ready API, Eggplant, Saucelabs, Browsertack, ARD, JIRA, TFS, GIT, Cucumber
- Design and developing microservices using Java, NodeJS or Golang.
- Use of API Gateways, such as Apigee.
- Developing with Docker and container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes or OpenShift.
- Experience of working in agile teams and adopting DevOps best practices.
- Experience of using and configuring DevOps tooling such as Jenkins, Nexus/Artifactory, Fortify and Twistlock
The extras you’ll get
Our packages include life assurance, pension, bonus and benefits scheme.
As part of our team, you will receive:
- Access to technical learning, including sites such as Pluralsight, to help you progress your skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Please note: To help us do the right thing by our members, all applicants will be subject to a criminal record and credit checks.
Why work at Nationwide
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. However large we grow, we will never lose sight of what makes us different: our commitment to our members and to building our society in the right way. Our goal is to be more than a business. We want to be known as an organisation that is always open, honest and trustworthy, where people are helped, supported and loyal. That’s as true for our employees as it is for our members. Help us build on our values and we’ll help you build an amazing career.
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.