Senior SAS Data Engineer
Senior SAS Data Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00628
- Closing Date: 05 August 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Nationwide has recently launched a new data strategy which will transform the way the society thinks about, values and manages its data. As part of this new strategy the data & analytics community, and more specifically, the data solutions team has a number of exciting new roles to help deliver on the promises of reducing the number of legacy data stores, simplifying the architectural landscape and treating data as a valued asset.
This role will focus on delivering data within the SAS toolset to support the business in generating compelling insight and value to the Society, helping establish an in-house engineering capability and being and active part in driving forwards the data and analytics strategy of the society.
Combining accountabilities for delivery, continuous improvement and automation, this exciting new role will provide the opportunity to work within our existing data warehouse as part of the SAS Business Intelligence platform along with some cutting-edge technologies, industry leading vendors and help shape and drive the next phase of the strategy execution.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
What you’ll be doing
Reporting to the Senior Engineer, you will be part of a small team of engineers responsible for the implementation of data solutions onto the SAS platform in support of our strategy objective of simplifying our data landscape and delivery of insight and innovation. Working directly with business and IT stakeholders you will drive best practise, innovation, and automation in the industrialisation of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller user driven demand.
Working with data governance teams and the wider D&A community you will ensure that the data remains secure, well managed and fully governed and help to drive increased adoption of the data solutions across the enterprise.
We need people with experience in working within a similar SAS data warehouse environment – this could have been gained in any company or business sector – with significant experience in working within change control environment (SAS Data Integration Studio preferred).
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
- Experience in working with data warehouse delivery gained in a mix of industry sectors including:
- Experience in the full information management lifecycle and of embedding data governance principles within a data management change controlled environment.
- Demonstrate strong SAS technical understanding; SAS certification preferred.
- Be a technical innovator with a curious mindset and a thirst for knowledge and be able to demonstrate a drive for continual improvement
- Be a strong team player who enjoys and thrives on collaboration across colleagues and teams
- Have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
It would be nice if you also had:
- Experience of working in an Agile environment using SCRUM/Kanban
- Hands-on experience of working within a DevOps environment
- Have worked in the financial sector for part of your career to date
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.