- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00637
- Closing Date: 17 October 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
We’re no strangers to being at the forefront of technological breakthroughs – first in the UK to launch internet banking, joint first with Apple pay, Cisco leading-edge technology in our branches.
Building on that success, we’re now on a hugely exciting and ambitious transformation journey to become a simpler, more agile and innovative organisation, whilst remaining relentlessly focused on delivering legendary products and services to our members…
We are looking for a Network Engineer to join our Network Engineering team. Working proactively with Senior Network Engineers, Projects, Network Architecture and Network Operations to collectively work through the technical and business requirements and collaboratively draft a suitable solution. You’ll work with stakeholders and peers to understand how the technical infrastructure deliverables interlock with activities within and outside of the team and where required negotiate solutions to align with engineering principles and the architectural strategy
You will primarily get involved with network changes, this includes planning/scheduling, implementation, consultancy, assurance and troubleshooting. You will assist in creating High and Low-Level design solution and requirements. You will collaborate with the various Network Engineers across the business throughout the Project lifecycle.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
This is a varied Network Engineering role which includes implementation and some high and low level design. You will be working alongside and mentored by experienced senior network engineers with the intent of upskilling and developing yourself.
The day to day responsibilities will vary subject to the projects you’re working on and the required demand. You will be working with other Network Specialists across the organisation and you will be working on multiple projects of various sizes and at different stages of the project lifecycle. You will be representing Infrastructure Engineering and we will be looking to you to drive decisions, remove blockers to drive forward solutions.
You will contribute the creation and ongoing maintenance of engineering principles, patterns and standards to reflect best practice and effective use within the organisation. You will be an active contributing member within the Network Community, driving improvements, change and collaboration. You will be prepared to occasionally work outside of contracted hours when required, to carry out Network Implementation changes.
You may be required to work on call from time to time.
- Have knowledge & experience of Prevent, Protect, Cyber, plus network protocols and methodologies such as SSL, VPN, Load Balancing, DNS, Traffic Flow Mapping
- Have in depth knowledge & experience of firewalls including support and configuration
- Track record of building good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders
- Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies
- Experience in creating and reviewing implementation designs
- Experience in carrying out network changes
- The ability to explain complex technical information, including the articulation of risks to a non-technical audience
Experience and knowledge of the following areas would be beneficial:
- Certified design professional accreditations such as CCNA or equivalent
- Experience with network controls such as Cisco FTD, Juniper SRX and Bluecoat Proxy
- Practical experience in Cisco ASA, Sidewinders, ACL’s Riverbed steel central, Cloud Design/Implementation/Support - AWS and Azure.
- Agile project management methodologies
- Regulatory environments such as PCI and GDPR
- Working with 3rd parties / Suppliers
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
The extras you’ll get
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.