- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00672
- Closing Date: 23 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible and part-time working approaches for this role
Nationwide is investing £1.2b in IT transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need a skilled Engineer to work in our Proof of Concept team, building exciting prototypes using a wide range of interesting technologies.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be working to deliver Proof of Concepts and prototyping services across Technology Strategy, IT Architecture & Engineering. What you create in collaboration with your fellow engineers will help grow understanding of technology and inform decisions on potential use and adoption. This team will be using tools and ways of working that are new within Nationwide and you will be excited to work in an environment that is changing and adapting as it matures. You will be comfortable using a broad range of technologies and working with a wide spectrum of stakeholders and will relish opportunities to learn new tools and techniques.
You will work under the guidance of the Head of Proof of Concept and the team’s Lead Engineer but will also be a proactive problem solver and confident in sharing your ideas with the team. You’ll also be an excellent team player, enthusiastic about sharing your experience and knowledge with your colleagues and comfortable engaging with technical and non-technical people across the business.
We need somebody with:
- A strong understanding of Object-Oriented Programming principles with experience in two or more OOP languages
- The ability and enthusiasm to research and learn new languages and frameworks rapidly
- Appreciation of the 80/20 rule with good instinct of when and when not to apply it
- Experience using cloud-based services in either AWS, Azure or Google Cloud (the broader knowledge of cloud service portfolios the better)
- A medium level understanding of data layer architectures (NoSQL data layers such as Cassandra/MongoDB would be especially useful)
- Knowledge in API-driven and microservices-based architectures with experience of utilising REST and JSON
- Familiarity with the Agile Manifesto and Scrum framework. Experience of working in sprint delivery teams is an advantage.
- Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to describe technical solutions to technical and non-technical people.
- The ability to quantify measures of success in a language that makes sense to stakeholders
- An appreciation of what makes a good team player with a high level of enthusiasm to be one
It would be awesome (but not necessary) if you also have:
- Experience of DevOps processes including CI / CD techniques and associated toolsets (e.g. Git, Jenkins, Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc.)
- Experience of implementing solutions using containerisation technology such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience implementing event-based architectures using tools such as Kafka
- Knowledge of React, Angular or Vue frameworks
- Experience of architecting cloud-based solutions
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Why work at Nationwide
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.