Senior UI Designer
Senior UI Designer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00678
- Closing Date: 29 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Last year more people opened an account with us than with any other brand! We have one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry and continue to be voted the UK’s most trusted financial services brand. As a Mutual Society, we’re owned by our members, not shareholders, so their needs are at the heart of everything we do, which makes working here feel different from that of ‘for-profit’ companies.
We’re now in the middle of a hugely exciting and ambitious transformation journey to evolve how the organisation approaches the design-led delivery of its products and services. Meeting the needs and expectations of our members and colleagues has never been more important. To do this effectively, we need to be free to innovate and explore new ideas, we require established brand and experience quality standards, and we need to be nimble enough to move at pace, learn and pivot with confidence.
We’d love for you to come and join us and help us on this journey…
As our name suggests, here in Service & Experience Design, we’re responsible for defining, designing, and delivering frictionless, useful experiences that help our members manage their money and look after what matters to them in life. We research, we iterate, we craft, we strive – and we do it all to make sure our members have experiences that are memorable, for all the right reasons, on every channel.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll use your expertise in visual and interaction design to create experiences that engage and solve the needs of those that come into contact with them.
- You’ll be working with cross-functional teams, ranging from User Experience Designers, Content Designers, and Engineers to Product Owners and Delivery Leads and Product SMEs
- You’ll be working to an agile delivery methodology, working through all the stages of Design Thinking, from Empathise to Implement
- You’ll be involved in customer research to uncover the issues our members and colleagues are facing, instrumental in identifying opportunities and shape the direction of new experiences
- You’ll be accountable for consistency, creativity, and design integrity whilst upholding and contributing to Nationwide’s shared design system
- You will ensure our experience standards and service principles are adhered to at all times, continuingly monitoring their effectiveness and identifying opportunities to improve them
- You’ll be representing our brand, making sure the distinctiveness of our brand is applied appropriately and consistently across member touchpoints
- You’ll be encouraged to have a voice and share your opinions and experiences, driving up the quality and craft in everything you and those around you do
- You’ll have extensive experience working as a UI or Visual Designer within an agency or in-house design team
- You’ll be someone who has significant and demonstrable experience in designing experiences across products and services
- You’ll have a detailed knowledge of visual and interaction design and the ability to use the appropriate methods, activities, and tools to create delightful experiences
- You’ll possess the ability to bring ideas to life in different ways – we like to realise ideas at speed and have a culture that supports rapid and iterative creation
- A strong attention to detail and a keenness to become a master of your craft is what drives you – your deliverables are held up as examples of how things should be done
- You are comfortable taking ownership of the decisions you make and the actions you take
- You’ll be able to identify opportunities to enhance experiences and be able to use your influencing skills to ensure we design the right things, the right way
- You’ll have the ability to share your design capabilities with those around you and be comfortable with the responsibility for developing more junior members of the team
- You’ll be a natural storyteller, presenting your ideas and opinions in a thoughtful and engaging way
- You’ll bring a solid understanding of design systems and the experience of using and developing one
- You’ll be keen to get involved in shaping the discipline team, working with managers to help develop the culture and the methods surrounding our craft
Experiences that are beneficial
- Working in the financial services, eCommerce, or within the public sector
- Experience applying UX method – testing, mapping, etc.
- An understanding of Accessibility and a passion for designing accessible experiences
- Experience in Native design and/or Web application/system design
- A basic knowledge and appreciation for development from working directly with developers and delivering a design through to live.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.