Automation Test Engineer - Java
Automation Test Engineer - Java
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00679
- Closing Date: 30 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
We are looking for excellent Automation Test Engineers with Java development skills.
We need high-performing individuals to accelerate our test engineering transformation, embedding test solutions which ensure the Society has built the right products & services to the right quality, evidencing the change delivers the agreed outcomes.
This role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies and industry leading vendors. For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be driven to learn and succeed.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
Internal only: Nationwide is committed to the redeployment of our employees impacted by change, as such applications for redeployment candidates will be prioritised in this recruitment process.
External only: If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
Joining the Test Engineering Centre of Excellence and reporting to an Engineering Manager, you will work within a development squad, becoming involved in quality in all elements of the Software Development Lifecycle. You will be responsible for the creation and delivery of test outcomes through the implementation of quality testing solutions aligned to proven patterns. Working in your development team you will adopt best practice and automation in the testing of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller deliveries and provide technical leadership enabling decisions to be made with confidence and at pace.
Testing and quality expertise including:
• Structured test techniques to derive appropriate test coverage and drive efficiency in test
• Functional and/or Non-functional testing
• Appropriate certification in test methods and practices e.g. ISTQB/ISEB, CAT, Practitioner in Agile Quality
• Understanding appropriate test approaches for various system topologies such as Cloud, client server, mainframe, event driven architectures.
• Knowledge and experience of End to End software development cycles including:
• Experience of working in collaborative and agile teams
• Understanding of traditional, waterfall development modes
• Production of test evidence and associated artefacts to support quality
Technical expertise including:
• Coding ability (Java) to support the creation and maintenance of automation frameworks
• Knowledge of databases and expertise in structured querying to support testing.
• Tools such as Selenium, SOAP UI/Ready API, Eggplant, Browsertack, ARD, JIRA, TFS, GIT, Cucumber You should also be able to demonstrate:
• Experience in mobile testing practices
• Ability to Implement automation first approach targeting appropriate strategies for robust and repeatable automation and the appropriate exploratory / manual testing of change
• The ability to consider the business impact of technical changes and make risk assessments
• A track record in fault analysis, diagnosis and resolution
You might also have:
• DevOps principles, practices and tools such as
• Test Driven Development (TDD)
• Behaviour and Feature Driven Development (BDD, FDD)
• Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment pipelines
• Jenkins, Docker, Puppet, Kubernetes
• Experience/understanding of PEGA Platform, Kafka and AWS
• Testing experience of Microservices/API platforms
• Multi browser and device testing • Accessibility and usability techniques
• Knowledge of advanced techniques such as mutation testing.
• Experience of exploratory test techniques
The extras you’ll get
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.
The hiring manager for this role is Taiwo Abolarin and the main resourcing contact is Matthew Lochead.