- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00701
- Closing Date: 22 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
You are a service designer with bags of experience leading Service Design – coordinating customers, colleagues, and stakeholders; getting hands on with research and data to deliver insights; and creating artefacts that help organisations understand how to deliver great service and business value.
And you’re up for the challenge of being one of the first Service Designers at Nationwide.
This means doing the work of Service Design to help us deliver truly legendary service to our members in a way that aligns to our brand promise, our service principles and makes clear the benefits of being a member of a mutual building society. You’ll do this by being curious, empathetic and inclusive, as you balance the needs of myriad stakeholders.
It also means through your work, you’ll show us and not just tell us what service design means at Nationwide, what value it brings to us and our members, why we do it and how we do it.
We are the Service & Experience Design (S&ED) team in Nationwide.
We’re responsible for defining, designing and delivering frictionless, useful experiences that help our members manage their money and look after what matters to them in life. We research, we iterate, we craft, we strive – and we do it all to make sure our members have experiences that are memorable, for all the right reasons, on every channel.
What you’ll be doing
You will plan, design and carry out research activities to get a deep understanding of users.
You will work in an environment following Agile principles, in a multidisciplinary team, including content design, UI and UX design, business design, product and tech colleagues.
You will design and map the multi-channel, multi-touchpoint end-to-end journey of services to help a user complete their goal and the business to unlock value, while ensuring we meet regulatory standards and other considerations.
You will ensure your work aligns to business strategy, service principles and design principles and be able to show this alignment clearly.
You will understand the impact of the cultural, social and political context, using your toolkit of influencing styles to get the right inputs and buy-in to the approaches you take, from people across the whole of Nationwide.
We’re looking for people with experience and skills in these areas:
- Transformation programme experience – experienced in working on programmes of work that transform siloed, departmental organisations into truly collaborative, service-oriented multidisciplinary teams.
- Outcomes focus – has a substantial body of work that shows how their approach to service design has led to better customer and business outcomes, innovation and organisational change.
- User focus – experienced in a variety of approaches to understanding users and their needs, translating their needs into user stories, and proposing design approaches or services to meet those needs.
- Research – ability to advocate for evidence-based decisions and backing this up by being able to select the appropriate research approach, performing and directing research before taking the outputs to generate multiple solutions to then test.
- Agile working – experience working in an evolving environment, using an iterative method and flexible approach to enable rapid delivery.
- Prototyping – ability to create or design appropriate fidelity of workable prototypes to take into research, and to test hypotheses and assumptions.
- Strategic thinking – ability to look for different sources of information to understand the impact of business issues, events, activities and their wider implications and long-term impact.
- Stakeholder management – communicating and working with stakeholders clearly and regularly, clarifying, consulting and considering impacts on their focus areas while ensuring we meet user needs and maximising value for members and the business.
- Self-motivation and flexibility – ability to direct own work and adapt plans according to changing plans.
- Communication skills – ability to communicate effectively and appropriately in spoken, written and visual formats.
The extras you’ll get
Our people’s success isn’t based on how long they spend at their desk. While you’ll have contracted hours, we want to offer a flexible environment where possible. That might be working from home, logging on from other offices across the UK, or working part time or compressed hours.
We’ve let you know about the flexibility available for this role at the start of the advert. This means you can quickly decide if it suits how you’d like to work.
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application and if you’ll be moving forwards to a remote assessment.