Data Engineer, SQL
Data Engineer, SQL
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00706
- Closing Date: 24 October 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
With data driving the way the Society makes day to day decisions the Data and Analytics community are at the forefront of the data strategy and are looking for excellent cross-functional collaborators to thrive in Agile ways of working to ensure we are continuously improving our platforms with data as the number one asset.
Treating data as a valued asset the role focuses on offering guidance and skilfully moving data from source onto the Society’s enterprise data platforms for reporting and analytical solutions, adding real value for the Society and its Members.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
What you’ll be doing
Working alongside a senior engineer you will form a key part of the data engineering Centre of Excellence with responsibility for implementing data solutions to meet the key OKRs for your Pod. Continually delivering business value and helping to optimise flow you’ll help deliver best practice, innovation and automation in the industrialisation of complex strategic IT initiatives.
You will bring a high level of motivation and innovation to the team, always looking for ways to expand your own skill set and searching for ways to do things better, quicker & with value.
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
- Have a good foundation of experience of data warehouse delivery with:
- Technologies such as MS SQL Server, Teradata, Python
- Working with large datasets writing high quality, maintainable SQL
- An appreciation for core data warehouse concepts such as data warehouse design, data modelling, code control, testing
- Technically curious and excited by learning you strive for continuous improvement
- Someone who thrives on collaborating with colleagues to drive team growth
- Working in an Agile team you’ll need good stakeholder management and influencing skills as well as the ability to manage your workload
It would be nice if you also had:
- Experience of working in an Agile environment using SCRUM/Kanban
- Experience of Cloud Technologies
- Powershell/Shell (Bash/Korn)
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.