Network Security Architect
Network Security Architect
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00723
- Closing Date: 30 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
You provide guidance and support to delivery teams working on network security solutions, are responsible for understanding and implementing the Society’s network security strategy & architecture. Your primary focus will be on network security technologies, however you’ll frequently collaborate on and contribute to the broader network domain.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
This team is part of the Common Infrastructure Technologies (CIT) Product Stream. CIT brings together three core product families.
- Foundational Infrastructure – Provides centralised services that underpin services from an application perspective.
- Network Infrastructure – Provides the connectivity services that allow applications to service their consumers.
- Contact – Provides services that allow our members to connect with the society through multiple channels.
This role is focused on ensuring that CIT delivers secure and efficient solutions to protect our members’ and colleagues’ data.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
- You’ll work with senior architects to set the strategic technology direction, create architectural patterns / standards, and contribute to solution architecture & governance of architecture / design.
- You’ll collaborate with current & potential vendors to ensure we understand their product capabilities & roadmap and fully exploit the Society’s investment in its network.
- You’ll collaborate with engineering, delivery & operational teams to ensure your guided by a deep understanding of their challenges and that the Society’s strategy & architecture are well understood.
- You'll work in an agile manner with workstreams and feature teams to provide guidance on product development to align with the network in place or iterate on the network to cater for new features.
You'll have technical knowledge and demonstratable experience evaluating, designing, and supporting the deployment of various security controls in an enterprise network. Examples of some of the technologies we are particularly interested in are Intrusion Detection & Prevention, Firewall Policy Management, Web Application Firewalls, Content Delivery via reverse proxy, forward proxy controls, Volumetric DoS mitigation, network layer anti-malware solutions, network visibility, ACL management, network layer authentication, inbound and outbound DNS query protections, email security, and remote access. An ideal candidate would also have experience with Cisco ACI and using smart contracts and software defined networking.
You may have a more security focused background rather than explicitly networking or vice versa. The right candidate is someone who possess a passion for security, networking, and learning. You don’t necessarily have to have a background that perfectly aligns with all the technologies listed. Being willing to learn and try things outside your comfort zone is critical to being successful in this role. Possessing the soft skills which demonstrate curiosity and interest in these areas can compensation for experience with the some of the technologies.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. If it’s already been defined please provide an overview of the assessment process and a timeline of when assessments will be.