Network Architect (Data Centre)
Network Architect (Data Centre)
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00726
- Closing Date: 24 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
You’ll be part of a small team of network architects responsible for enacting the Society’s network strategy and architecture. Your primary focus will be on the Society’s data centre environments; however you’ll frequently collaborate on and contribute to the broader network domain.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Part of Common Infrastructure Technologies (CIT), the Connecting Technology product group is responsible for the architectural strategy that guides the core network infrastructure within the Society’s data centres and colocation facilities.
Our team builds the connectivity within our data centres that securely connect our members and colleagues to the services they need, carefully balancing reliability, performance, scalability, and cost to deliver the best network we can.
We now have an exciting opportunity for a network architect to help transform and modernise our data centres, reflecting the need for changing technology and business requirements as we embrace new ways of working and continue our multi-cloud journey.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll work with senior architects to set the strategic technology direction, create architectural patterns / standards, and contribute to solution architecture and governance of architecture / design.
You’ll collaborate with current and potential vendors to ensure we understand their product capabilities and roadmap and fully exploit the Society’s investment in its network.
You’ll collaborate with engineering, delivery and operational teams to ensure that you’re guided by a deep understanding of their challenges and that the Society’s strategy and architecture are well understood.
You'll work in an agile manner with workstreams and feature teams to provide guidance on product development to align with the network in place or iterate on the network to cater for new features.
You'll support the product development done by workstream and feature teams to ensure that the way we interconnect the Society internally and externally is secure, robust, and efficient.
- You'll have technical knowledge and demonstratable experience across data centre networking technologies including Enterprise scale LAN routing and switching using OSPF and BGP, Next Generation Firewall technologies using Cisco ASA, FTD and Juniper SRX, Industry standard Load Balancing technologies such as F5, Viprion and have proven experience with Software Define Network (SDN) fabrics such as Cisco ACI and VMware NSX.
- Your experience should also include a solid understanding of providing resilient and highly scalable connectivity to Private and Public Cloud environments, Disaster Recovery and Enterprise LAN and WAN resilience using industry standard High Availability technologies.
- You may also have some knowledge of:
Carrier relationships, Circuit Switched and Packet Switched WAN technologies, Colo and Carrier Neutral Facility Design, Enterprise Security Mitigation technologies, Network Segmentation and Policy Enforcement.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.