Performance Tester - Java
Performance Tester - Java
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00741
- Closing Date: 25 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
At Nationwide, it’s key that we protect our backend systems from potential performance, resilience and scalability challenges due to the rapidly increasing demand placed on them from front end systems (APIs) and our members 24hr banking behaviours, including regulatory initiatives such as Open Banking. We’ve achieved this through a new enterprise middleware known internally as ‘The Speed Layer’. The Speed Layer is an elastically scalable, event driven middleware based on modern technologies such as Kafka and Mongo Db.
We need high-performing individuals to accelerate our test engineering transformation, embedding test solutions which ensure the Society has built the right products & services to the right quality, evidencing the change delivers the agreed outcomes.
This role will provide the opportunity to work with some cutting-edge technologies and industry leading vendors. For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be driven to learn and succeed.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
Internal only: Nationwide is committed to the redeployment of our employees impacted by change, as such applications for redeployment candidates will be prioritised in this recruitment process.
External only: If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
Joining the Test Engineering Centre of Excellence and reporting to an Engineering Manager, you will work within our Middleware development squad, becoming involved in all elements of performance testing within the Software Development Lifecycle. You will be responsible for the creation and delivery of test outcomes through the implementation of quality testing solutions aligned to proven patterns. Working in your development team you will adopt best practice and automation in the testing of complex strategic IT initiatives alongside smaller deliveries and provide technical leadership enabling decisions to be made with confidence and at pace.
You may be required to work on-call from time to time.
We are looking for a Performance Test Engineer with a strong understanding of Java, platform services (Kafka, MongoDB, OpenShift etc), Jira, Confluence, GitHub, Jenkins, who will work within a community of multi skilled teams to create and execute testing solutions. Good cross team collaboration, communication and stakeholder management is essential.
We need someone to:
- Have the appropriate certification in test methods and practices e.g. ISTQB/ISEB, CAT, Practitioner in Agile Quality
- Prepare the right strategy to ensure performance and resiliency is measured for swift delivery of fast and efficient solutions
- Understand & implement testing best practices for system/technology under test
- Participate in NFR review, recommendation and understand NFRs by discussing with Business designer, Project stakeholders, Business owners etc
- Ensure change is delivered via CI/CD seamlessly without introducing performance risk
- Performance of Design/Build, Unit level component, Integration and production volume assessment along-with peak load testing, availability & reliability testing
- Test result analysis, performance bottleneck analysis, root cause analysis, logging/monitoring and alerting, reporting and relevant health check analysis
- Have experience of working in collaborative and agile teams
- Have an understanding of traditional, waterfall development modes
- Production of test evidence and associated artefacts to support quality
- Coding ability (e.g. Java) to support the creation and maintenance of automation frameworks
- Knowledge of databases and expertise in structured querying to support testing.
- Experience of tools such as SOAP UI/Ready API, ARD, JIRA, TFS, GIT, Cucumber
You should also be able to demonstrate:
- Good verbal and written communication
- The ability to consider the business impact of technical changes and make risk assessments
- A track record in fault analysis, diagnosis and resolution
- Experience in NFT - E2E Performance testing process
- bxperience in Server side & Client side performance testing tools
- Ability to understand Infrastructure design documentation
- Expertise in performance testing tools, JMeter and LoadRunner / VuGen scripting
- Expertise in code profiling tools
- Expertise in application/Infra monitoring tools
- Experience in Performance test analysis and reporting experience in Agile / Jira / Confluence
You might also have:
DevOps principles, practices and tools such as:
- Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment pipelines
- Jenkins, Docker, Puppet, Kubernetes
- Experience/understanding of Event Driven Architectures
- Testing experience of Middleware / Microservices/API platforms
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.