Solution Architect – Industry API Hub
Solution Architect – Industry API Hub
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00793
- Closing Date: 26 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
We are looking for a passionate and highly skilled Solution Architect. As part of the Chief Technology Office, you will be responsible for shaping and designing complex technical solutions to interesting and challenging business problems. You’ll be working alongside other members of the technical team to help enhance and mature our ecosystem of secure APIs.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
This role is within the Industry API Hub, which is responsible for designing, building and implementing features and enhancements to Nationwide’s Open Banking API ecosystem. By providing a set of secure APIs that enable integration with Third Party Providers, we enable our Nationwide members to have better control of their money and finances.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
Shaping and designing technical solutions to enable the growth and maturity of Nationwide’s Open Banking APIs. You’ll be delivering value to both Nationwide and its members by playing a key role in delivering the regulatory and internal roadmap of API features and enhancements.
You will be using modern architectural patterns and approaches to tackle complex business challenges, striving for simple but elegant solutions. You’ll be designing systems that utilise a modern technology stack, hosted on a mix of on-premises and cloud environments.
As part of a collaborative and empowered team of technical, business and delivery colleagues, you will be supporting an ever-growing community of Third Party Providers who integrate with our APIs, and adding real value for the Nationwide members who use their services and products.
We’re looking for someone that has:
- Significant architectural and design experience, capable of guiding and supporting technical teams to enable the delivery of complex business solutions
- Knowledge of APIs, microservices, application security, and both on-premises and cloud infrastructure
- A good understanding of what it takes to deliver and maintain a highly available Live service in a regulated environment
- Strong stakeholder management skills – building relationships and influencing at all levels
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal, and capable of explaining items of a technical nature to colleagues from a wide range of different technical backgrounds
- Ideally some knowledge of container orchestration technologies, API Gateways, Identity Providers, and NoSQL database technologies (all of these are non-essential, but beneficial)
- Experience of aligning to an organisation’s technology strategy and roadmap, and experience of working within the appropriate technical guardrails and governance controls
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. If it’s already been defined please provide an overview of the assessment process and a timeline of when assessments will be.