Infrastructure Engineer - Kafka
Infrastructure Engineer - Kafka
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00795
- Closing Date: 26 September 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
As an Infrastructure Engineer you will be working in project teams designing, building and maintaining the platform for our Speed Layer product, primarily focused on our Kafka streaming infrastructure to provide strong business solutions. You will be involved at all stages from design, build to the support of non-production environments.
We are creating a learning culture at NBS and ongoing development is important and the opportunity to increase skills in technologies is encouraged. As a part of this role you will have the opportunity to join our many communities to share ideas and collaborate with other professional engineers.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Nationwide’s Engineering Centre of Excellence provides the platform for all our key systems at NBS. Engineering designs and builds all infrastructure at NBS, as well as supporting the non-production environments used for development and testing. We also provide specialist guidance and advice to our change initiatives. Kafka is a strategic platform at NBS and is being used across a number of our key systems.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
Working within our delivery teams you will work collaboratively with others to build the best solution for Nationwide.
Using your SME knowledge to offer advice/consultancy, build systems and work through problems to provide solid working solutions within the Kafka & Linux space Whether your traditional background is IT development or operations, we require team members who can operate effectively across deliveries, tools, networks, servers and across development and support.
You will have a proven track record in providing technical delivery through the design, build and implementation of Linux infrastructure
• Experience with Kafka
• Linux (RHEL) system administration experience
• An understanding of Ansible/OpenShift/MongoDB
• Be comfortable working across multiple projects and immersing yourself in a team
• Be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent
• Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
• Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies. Experience of the following areas will be beneficial:
• Ansible and/or Ansible Tower • Automation / Infrastructure-as-Code
• Network and infrastructure security concepts
• Agile project management methodologies
• Regulatory environments such as PCI and GDPR
• Working with 3rd parties / suppliers We’re also interested in who you are as a person.
Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
• Your values, and what makes you who you are
• How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special. What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members.
We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities.
So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. If it’s already been defined please provide an overview of the assessment process and a timeline of when assessments will be.