Lead Red Hat Linux Engineer
Lead Red Hat Linux Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: £42,370 - £61,201
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00868
- Closing Date: 26 October 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
At Nationwide we put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Nationwide is heavily investing in IT transformation, so it’s never been a more exciting time to join. Building high performing teams plays a huge part in this transformation, which is why we need skilled Engineers to work within our teams.
A Large amount of growth and exploitation of Linux is anticipated and we need to have strong technically skilled and competent individuals to increase the strength and support the existing Linux team.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
As a Lead Linux Engineer, you will be working across teams, providing consultancy, build, test and Non-Production support services for the IT delivery community. You will use your technical expertise to solutionise, teach, create and support technical artefacts; enabling high quality technical solutions that meet business need to be delivered at pace.
Within delivery teams you will work collaboratively with others to build the best solution for Nationwide using associated Technologies to exploit Linux. Using your SME knowledge, you will offer advice/consultancy, help lead and drive continuous improvements and promote best practice through your actions, behaviours, and mentoring. You will also be instrumental in the technical knowledge growth of the Engineering team around you and wider where necessary.
You will be working with stakeholders and peers to understand and influence how the technical infrastructure deliverables coincide with activities both inside and outside the team and, where required, provide designs/solutions to align with engineering principles and the architectural strategy.
You may be required to work on-call from time to time.
You will have a proven track record in providing technical delivery of Red Hat Linux (or other Unix variants) solutions.
You will have in depth knowledge & experience of 1 or more of the following:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux System Administration – or other Unix variant (Key)
- Satellite Administration
- Upgrade/Patching of large environments
- Ansible and Ansible Tower
- Shell Scripting
- Performance tuning
- Be comfortable working across multiple projects and immersing yourself in a team
- Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
- Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies.
Knowledge and Experience of the following areas will also be beneficial:
- Cloud – AWS and/or Azure (And Bakery process)
- Active Directory
- DevOps tooling
- Infrastructure as Code (Automation and Scripting)
- Solaris or AIX Unix sysadmin
- Network and infrastructure security concepts
- Agile project management methodologies
- Regulatory environments such as PCI and GDPR
- Working with 3rd parties / suppliers
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
• Your values, and what makes you who you are
• How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.