Infrastructure Designer Engineer - Data & Analytics Community
Infrastructure Designer Engineer - Data & Analytics Community
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00875
- Closing Date: 20 October 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
We are looking for an agile-minded Senior Infrastructure Designer Engineer like you. It’s a unique opportunity to get our newly formed Engineering Centre of Excellence off the ground, to play a part in its evolution and more importantly grow your career.
As an Infrastructure Designer, you will be working with diverse cutting-edge technologies, industry leading vendors and across different internal teams providing technical leadership through the design, build and implementation of complex infrastructure solutions. You will be working across multiple projects and immersing yourself in a team that will stretch and test you. We are creating a learning culture at NBS and ongoing development is important and the opportunity to increase skills in technologies is encouraged. As a part of this role, you will have the opportunity to join our many communities to share ideas and collaborate with other professional engineers.
Taking accountability and ownership for delivering high quality design this role will provide you with the opportunity to help shape the strategic direction for the Society’s in-house Engineering capability.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
Working as part of a community and CoE, you will be responsible for delivery of innovative, complex and multi-disciplinary infrastructure designs that provide optimal business and customer outcomes, whilst maintaining the required commercial and strategic focus and architectural alignment. You may be required to provide guidance and support during the build and implementation stage of your solutions. In addition, you will contribute to our engineering communities in developing and establishing best practice’s, patterns and guardrails.
We want you to nurture and value proactive habits and to develop contacts and relationships, so things are done faster and more efficiently. We will expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
You may be required to work on-call from time to time.
If you have some of the following skills, we are keen to hear from you:
- You’ll be an experienced infrastructure professional, practised in producing complex infrastructure designs
- Knowledge of data subjects, such as RDBMS, Data Warehouse, Data Care / Governance
- Proficient in networking, security, platform and integration, but willing and able to also work on a wider range of technologies as the need arises
- A proven track record in producing infrastructure designs for large scale technical solutions
- Strong communication skills and ability to relate to and influence employees at all levels
- An awareness of network and infrastructure security concepts
Ability and desire to quickly comprehend the functions, capabilities and benefits of new technologies
- Be comfortable working across multiple projects and immersing yourself in a team
- Be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent
Good communicator with an analytical approach
- Build good working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
- Have the ability and desire to quickly learn new technologies
Experience and knowledge of the following areas would be beneficial:
- Automation technologies and scripting – e.g. Jenkins, Puppet, Ansible.
- Knowledge and experience of one or more of the following: AWS and/or
- Azure cloud technology, SAN and storage technologies, Microsoft AD.
- Experience of regulatory environments such as PCI or GDPR.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
• Your values, and what makes you who you are
• How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
• A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
• Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
• Life assurance worth 8x your salary
• A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
• Access to an annual performance related bonus
• Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
• 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society. Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.