Lead Network Engineer
Lead Network Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: From £54,231
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00897
- Closing Date: 31 October 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Our Engineering Centre of Excellence (CoE) are looking for a Lead Network Engineer. As we embark on a new chapter, evolving the way in which we deliver first class infrastructure solutions, we’re looking for an experienced Lead Network Engineer to provide technical leadership and direction to a highly motivated team of network engineers.
As a Lead Network Engineer, you’ll be part of a product team, working closely with the Delivery Lead, Product Manager and Architecture, responsible for enacting the Society’s network strategy & architecture. Your primary focus will be on data centre networking and network security technologies; however, you’ll frequently collaborate on and contribute to the broader network.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll operate at various levels, contributing to the strategic technology direction, defining engineering patterns / standards, leading the delivery of architecture solutions, ensuring quality by demonstrating adherence to governance and guardrails.
You’ll collaborate with current & potential vendors to ensure we understand their product capabilities to fully exploit the Society’s investment in its network.
You’ll collaborate with architecture, delivery & operational teams to ensure your guided by a deep understanding of their challenges, enabling you to deliver quality solutions in line with the Society’s strategy & architecture roadmap.
You’ll be expected to produce or contribute to complex solution designs as well as be hands-on supporting implementation tasks or supporting troubleshooting activities.
You'll work in an agile manner with workstream leads, while providing technical leadership and guidance to network engineers within feature teams aligned to one of our network products sets.
It may be necessary to perform direct line management to a handful of our senior network engineers, as well as mentor or coach some of our more junior team members.
You'll help shape and develop the engineering team to ensure that we are optimally positioned to deliver our vision.
We are looking for someone who has:
- You’ll have broad technical knowledge across WAN, Data Centre LAN, Campus LAN & Network Security technologies such as:
- Next Generation Firewall technologies using Cisco ASA, FTD and Juniper SRX.
- Industry standard Load Balancing technologies such as F5 Viprion.
- Proven experience with Software Define Network (SDN) fabrics such as Cisco ACI.
- You'll have technical knowledge and demonstratable experience designing and implementing across core routing and WAN technologies including:
- BGP, OSPF, MPLS L2/L3VPN (self-managed), Internet routing (peering and transit) and DDoS mitigation.
- You may also have some knowledge of:
- SD-WAN, NFV, and cloud interconnect products from major CSPs (AWS/Azure) and SaaS providers.
- Your experience should include a solid track record of designing and delivering resilient and highly scalable connectivity to Private and Public Cloud environments, Disaster Recovery and Enterprise LAN and WAN resilience using standard High Availability technologies.
- You’ll have an appreciation of broader infrastructure / application spaces and their demands of the network.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 30 days holiday
- Status car allowance - £4,656 per annum
- Individual healthcare cover
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. If it’s already been defined please provide an overview of the assessment process and a timeline of when assessments will be.