Lead Product Designer - Home Propositions
Lead Product Designer - Home Propositions
- Location(s): UK Wide, The Post Building (London)
- Salary: £50,840 - £73,436
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00903
- Closing Date: 10 December 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
We’re the Home Propositions team! A passionate group of just over 40 (and growing) experts across various disciplines, on a mission to improve the rental market.
We have a real sense of purpose – to improve the lives of renters and landlords by building digital products that help everyone. We support our products with a range of engagement activities with the Government and wider market.
We’re looking for a Lead Product Designer to join our team. As a lead member of the team, you will be responsible for the full product design lifecycle on a platform that seeks to accelerate a renter’s journey into homeownership.
Life has had a shake up recently, and how we work is changing to reflect that. We’re big supporters of flexibility, so for much of the week we’ll leave it up to you to decide where you choose to work. It could be amongst your home comforts, in your local coffee shop or at our fab new office in Holborn, Central London.
We like to hold sprint meetings one day a week at our London office. We’ve found these are most effective to do in one collaborative space together. If you live considerably further afield then we can chat about the best way to achieve this.
There’s a real start-up vibe in Home Propositions and our environment is collaborative and thriving. We’re a hard-working, friendly bunch from all backgrounds. There are regular virtual and physical socials - opportunities to unwind after busy days. We also love to come together to celebrate milestone events, product launches and other successes we have as a group.
We’re a small but very crucial part of Nationwide Building Society. This is a unique set up which provides us with the stability that many other start-ups lack.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
You will lead the design team and be responsible for driving and translating a project vision, user insights and business goals into stuff that works. You will be able to rapidly iterate designs and functionality based on what people need and the behaviours you observe.
You will collaborate closely with Senior Stakeholders, Product and Engineering teams to develop high quality and accessible user journeys. You'll also coach and empower other members of the design team. You constantly prioritise the leanest, quickest and most valuable way to overcome the challenges you encounter. And you believe that user experience is the responsibility of the entire team.
- You’ll working in a cross-functional team and lead design for multiple product areas.
- You’ll be part of the product leadership to ensure that the customer needs, design vision, and business goals and experience quality are all in alignment.
- You’ll collaborate using clear communication, written documentation and facilitation skills. You’ll work closely with product owners, engineers, architects, user researchers and content creators. Make sure those team members are deeply involved throughout the design process and aren’t just shipping good looking designs.
- You’ll be responsible for all design artefacts produced. From research and journey mapping through to shipping a well-tested and pixel-perfect UI.
- You’ll advocate for high quality, inclusive and accessible user experiences. You should be able make appropriate decisions on where and when to make scoping trade-offs by balancing ideal experience, technical constraints, business risk or strategy.
- You’ll be the voice of our customers. You’ll be heavily involved in all types of research and testing activities and have a deep understanding of the customers we’re designing for. You’ll help to influence business stakeholders on a user-centric approach to processes; and ensure we ship the right thing that adds value to customers.
- You’ll be leading a small design team, setting the work and supporting junior designers to learn and develop their career.
- You’ll help to drive a creative, open and respectful team culture and improve our design community of practice.
- Excellent leadership and stakeholder management skills
- Solid experience working as a product designer or UX/UI hybrid, in cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment
- Experience designing for B2C native apps and websites
- A keen eye for great visual design execution, but are also comfortable zooming out, seeing the bigger picture and connecting the dots to design cohesive experiences and solving real problems
- The ability to think at a high level and clearly articulate design decisions
- You take ownership of design process and work as a self-directed member of the development team
- Comfortable running workshops or leading remote collaboration sessions with cross-functional groups
- Care about the use of words in designing interfaces that they should always be purposeful and clear
- A strong portfolio showcasing unique challenges and process through the delivery of innovative design solutions
- A Constant learner and passionate about sharing knowledge
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- Car allowance of £4,656 per annum
- 25 Days Holiday
Why work at Nationwide
At Nationwide, we’re here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we’re known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We’re also the world’s largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.
At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. The interview process will consist of a first stage introduction call with the hiring manager to find out more about the opportunity and to go through your CV/experiences and to walk through your portfolio and/or projects you are able to share. This is followed by a take home task which will form a part of the final stage interview. This is formed of both competency based questions and an opportunity for you to present your task and meet more of the team.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.