Senior Security Engineer
Senior Security Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR00998
- Closing Date: 20 December 2021
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
It's easy to misunderstand what Nationwide is like. Why? Because we're not like a bank. We're not like other financial services companies either. As a Senior Security Engineer here, you'll sit within Enterprise Security Technology assisting the delivery teams in engineering secure solutions and protecting our member's money and data.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
We believe security is a systemic concern; therefore, security problems should be solved by a systemic approach (Take a look at our tenets here if you are interested to learn more about our vision). We will have regular forums in which we consult with other security engineers within the team, looking at the problems from each of our specialities' perspectives.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
As a senior security engineer, you will work cross-functionally to assess risk and help deliver countermeasures that protect our member's data. You will work will engineering teams to create solutions that solve or remediate security problems. This will involve a range of activities, including (but not limited to) threat modelling, selection and configuration of DevSecOps tools, high-level and detailed security designs, and provisioning cloud infrastructure.
We are looking for a Senior Security Engineer with experience in design and implementing cloud native applications in the cloud.
You should have demonstrable experience in
- Design and implementing cloud native and hybrid solutions in major public cloud platforms
- Programming with at least one modern language, an appreciation of software development lifecycle, software delivery methodologies and experience with industry-standard tools and methods for delivering software in an enterprise environment (version control, CI/CD pipeline, etc.)
- Threat modelling, design and implementing security controls in the cloud environment (AWS or Azure)
- Containerisation and serverless technologies (i.e., Docker, K8s, AWS Lambda) and their security implications
- Teamwork skills and resourcefulness with a proven sense of ownership and drive
It would also be beneficial if you have
- Understanding of cryptographic primitives and protocols and their implementations in the cloud environment
- Experience with Authentication and authorisation, Attribute-Based Access Control (ABAC), Role Based Access Control (RBAC))
- Application perimeter defence (i.e., Web Application Firewalls)
- Experience with API gateway and Service Mesh and their security implications (i.e., APIGEE, ISTIO…)
- Degree in computer science or related field
- Professional certifications in AWS or Azure
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday, pro rata
Why work at Nationwide
We’re different from other financial service providers. We’re a building society, owned by our members. And for over 130 years, we’ve supported those members to make the most of their money and achieve what they want from life.
That’s reflected in the way we work here at Nationwide. We come together to make sure we’re doing things in the best way possible, both for each other and for our members. If you join us, you’ll be part of that. You’ll be able to help us build something really quite special. And you’ll have the opportunity to make a real difference.
On top of that, we always want you to be yourself. To use your skills and experience to make our Society stronger. To feel valued for who you are, not just what you do. Because here at Nationwide, we understand that we can do more together than we ever could alone.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.