Senior AWS Data Engineer
Senior AWS Data Engineer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR01095
- Closing Date: 30 January 2022
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
The Data and Analytics Community exists to provide a broad range of data products to colleagues across the Society.
To support Data for Product Innovation, we are looking for an agile minded Lead Data Engineer to work alongside data scientists and UI developers to implement analytical models and develop applications utilising AWS and/or Azure to deliver insights to business users.
There are roles available across Data Platforms / Cloud Infrastructure and Cloud Application focused teams. If you have extensive experience on one, or both, of these areas, we are keen to hear from you.
Nationwide is committed to the redeployment of our employees impacted by change, as such applications for redeployment candidates will be prioritised in this recruitment process.
What you’ll be doing
You will work in a cross-functional team, providing direction to engineers of varying experience to develop cloud-based solutions in AWS/Azure, in collaboration with your cross-functional team.
Day-to-day you will be utilising your extensive experience of delivering first-class cloud-based data platform and applications in an agile environment.
You will become an SME within the technologies and applications you are responsible for and build enduring relationships, explaining complex engineering concepts to your Product Owner, team members, and stakeholders in a simple, digestible way
With the understanding of the end-to-end process from a technical perspective, you will coach and lead a team of Engineers, helping to deliver innovative and advanced technical solutions whilst minimising technical debt and meeting functional requirements
If you have the following skills, we are keen to hear from you:
- Demonstrable experience of operating as a senior Engineer in AWS (additional prior experience on Azure and on-premises is an advantage) working on application and/or Infrastructure or DevOps development.
- Strong working knowledge of modern development practices and emerging technologies such as cloud-native data analytics architectures for platform and application development, DevOps engineering and container based continuous delivery, cloud automation and infrastructure-as-code.
- Proven ability to study and quickly learn, putting into practice and coaching others in new methods, ways of working, tools, and technologies
- Knowledge and relevant application of infrastructure design with experience delivering solutions via automated CI/CD deployment methodologies
Extensive knowledge and application of the following tools and technologies would be desirable:
- DynamoDB / RDS
- CDN /CloudFront
- Containers & provisioning, Docker/Kubernetes
- Experience with AWS hosted features (IAM, EC2, S3, Lambda, EKS, VPCs, etc)
- Lake Formation
- Git source control & GitOps
- Linux/Bash experience
- Terraform or similar “Infrastructure-As-Code”
- Jenkins / CloudBees
- Kibana / ElasticSearch
- EDA driven applications / Kafka
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday, pro rata
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. If successful, you can expect a technical assessment followed by competency interview.