- Location(s): Nationwide House (Swindon)
- Salary: Circa £50,000 - £60,000
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR01122
- Closing Date: 31 January 2022
- An Operations Manager, within our Enterprise Command Centre (ECC), in our Head Offices in Swindon
- Salary circa £50,000 - £60,000 a year (dependent on skills and experience) plus shift allowance of £8731, and car allowance
As one of the 24x7 shift working Operations Managers you will be responsible for the operational management of technical specialist teams across the Enterprise Command Centre (ECC), ensuring system failures/outages are identified quickly and managed efficiently in line with defined response times and regulatory/business standards/procedures, reporting all updates to key stakeholders.
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused.
We’re seeking bright career focused leader looking for their next challenge.
In this fast-paced technical environment, no day is ever the same. In this responsible and demanding role, you’ll manage a team of Specialists on one of our rotating 24 hour shifts and help lead the resolution of all the Society’s major system incidents.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
- Operational performance management of specialist teams delivering services on a 24x7 basis
- Will act as deputy to the Senior Operations Manager in the event of a major incident at any time on a 24 x 7 basis and make autonomous decisions in the absence of the Senior Operations Manager
- Through mature technical knowledge and experience, will influence the technological strategy within ECC
- Review and act upon performance analysis data providing recommendations to contribute to continuous service performance improvement programmes
- Maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders/third parties across all areas/levels of the business to ensure collaborative working during incident resolution to minimise any impact to critical business and customer facing services
- Responsible for the provision of regular updates and/or briefings to senior management, and above, to provide indicative recovery times in line with business needs in the event of any interruption to service
- Responsible for the effective team delivery of crisis/major incident management activity through precise operational planning/resource management. Will be a point of escalation for the employees within your respective team and accountable to the Senior Operations Manager and Head of ECC during critical and major incidents
- Provide technical expertise and oversight of teams during general day to day incidents, defining resolution times and reporting up to the ECC Operations Manager
- Develop resource management plans to forecast up to 6-12 months in the future to ensure effective and efficient use of people resource and co-ordinate skills development strategy to deliver a multi-skilled offering in line with business need and future technological changes. Minimising risk to the Society
- Plan, direct and control the level 1 support of service to provide continuous 24 hr, 365 day service to meet defined SLA/OLA’s and the Society’s business requirements
- Accountable for the service performance of their teams, managing service improvements through to implementation and produce regular system performance reporting
- Provide service reporting on scheduled change
- Manage operational risks associated with process and service delivery, to ensure service operation is not compromised
- Ensure processes are managed to standard and executed appropriately
- Responsible for the Post Incident Review process to aid root cause analysis and prevent repeat major incidents
- Identify & flag opportunities for increasing service automation & ECC optimisation and proactively drive the automation of tasks and services resulting in a measurable shift of workload from level 2 to level 1, thus decreasing level 2 on call support costs
- Approve knowledge articles created and updated by the L1 Support Teams and promote knowledge transfer within the team
We’re looking for Operations Managers with significant experience of working in an operational support environment.
Due to the nature of our business, you’ll be working to demanding deadlines at times, so we need you to be resilient with an ability to respond quickly and confidently whilst being under pressure to deliver.
Service delivery throughout the ECC is paramount, so it’s key that your strength of character and resilience will get you through the tough and challenging times.
You’ll be able to communicate complex technical information to non-technical stakeholders using business terminology and have the ability to think laterally in order to solve problems across multiple teams and components. In addition to the technical skills we require, we’re also looking for competent people managers who can lead, develop and inspire their teams to meet the ever changing demands of our business.
As a minimum requirement you'll have;
- ITIL accreditation in service delivery and support, minimum of practitioner level in incident management and service operations, or equivalent business experience.
- Significant experience in an IT operational management role
- Experience of working within an environment that is at times highly pressurised with rapid times to respond
- Experience of building relationships across all levels of an organisation and with third party suppliers.
- Demonstrable track record of effectively managing technical teams
- An understanding of process improvement methodology that can improve service, quality and efficiency
- The ability to understand, recognise and communicate business impact
- Experience of operational change management with the ability to prioritise and manage the workload
- Technical expert in incident and crisis management
- Understanding of Financial Regulation and the consequences of failing a regulatory control
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Shift allowance - £8,731 per annum
- Status car allowance - £4,656 per annum
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.