Engineering Manager EM1 - 12 Month FTC
Engineering Manager EM1 - 12 Month FTC
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
- Ref: R00TR01128
- Closing Date: 29 January 2022
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
At Nationwide we openly put our 15 million members at the centre of every decision we make as a business. Every role, no matter what it’s doing, is member focused. The Engineering COE is looking for an Engineering Manager to join the Shared Technology Platforms (STP). As STP embark on a new chapter, evolving the way in which they deliver first class infrastructure outcomes, we seek an experienced Engineering Manager to lead the team of highly motivated network engineers. Shape and be part of our new vision, while having a healthy work-life balance.
What you’ll be doing
You will join our Engineering team within the Shared Technology Platform area (STP), which provides design, build for both non-production and productions support services for Nationwide’s IT transformation delivery teams. Working alongside other Engineering Managers, you will be:
- Line managing a team of Network engineers, which will include a mixture of permanent staff, 3rd party/partner resources and/or contractors
- Relationship Management and governance oversight of our key Network partners
- Developing the capability of Engineering COE, through coaching, mentoring and managing training
- Leading on recruitment of Network Engineers and pipeline talent development
- Leading on Network Engineering improvement initiatives, to develop best practice methods and continuous improvement
- Capturing and sharing knowledge and ensuring use of documentation within our engineering teams
- Acting as a point of escalation, working with and influencing senior stakeholders to remove barriers
- Build a network including external relationships with stakeholders, including delivery managers, engineers / SMEs to understand best practice and emerging trends within engineering and to help implement strategic initiatives
- Review and approval of technical and business requirements and technical artefacts delivered in and through the team.
- Identify and implement technically complex artefacts to meet team objectives, providing guidance and direction to a team of engineers to create fit for purpose artefacts that meet requirements of the organisation and fit the engineering architecture strategy
- Responsible for capturing and sharing knowledge and ensuring use of documentation within engineering teams and assigned domain to drive continuous Engineering and process improvement
- Feed into strategic go/no go decisions, providing insight, backed up with robust information
- Provide end to end assurance for all releases and deployments within assigned domain
- Act as an Engineering advocate across Nationwide, identifying good practices to adopt and sharing experiences, e.g. through blog posts, knowledge share, etc.
For us, it’s not just about having the right technical background, you need to have an open mind, be able to work collaboratively and be driven to learn and succeed.
As a minimum you will:
- Have strong demonstrable leadership and organisational skills
- Have experience of working in a complex business environment
- Have Network Engineering experience
- Have significant IT experience in working with contracted 3rd Party suppliers and multi-discipline teams based onsite, off-site and offshore and leverage relationships to ensure service excellence from 3rd Parties
- Have proven experience of motivating and challenging people to achieve their potential and fulfil their development goals (technical and non-technical)
- Have relevant technical experience and the ability to inspire and coach technical teams
- Be adept at building excellent working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders, gaining their respect and trust based on your knowledge and professionalism
- Have the rigor, ability and desire to continue your professional development and stay abreast of new technologies and methodologies
- Excellent negotiation and facilitation skills.
Experience and knowledge of the following areas would be beneficial:
- Agile project management methodologies
- Regulatory environments such as PCI and GDPR
- Working with 3rd parties / suppliers
The extras you’ll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair that you get a lot out. Our rewards and recognition scheme includes:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
- Status car allowance - £4,656 per annum
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. Something really quite special. What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, Nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.