- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR01142
- Closing Date: 20 February 2022
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
Nationwide’s Data & Analytics community is responsible for transforming the Society’s data and analytics capability to enable our colleagues to better serve our members’ needs. We are seeking skilled and experienced problem solvers who are passionate about helping to develop a future technology capability. To deliver end-to-end solutions that fulfil a wide variety of interesting and challenging Analytics use-cases.
As a Solution Architect, you will be a part of the Analytics Centre of Excellence and will be responsible for both designing and directing the implementation of AWS based solutions that deliver Analytics to our stakeholders.
You will engage with the data science and data engineering community as well as stakeholders (both business and technical) across the enterprise to create pragmatic end to end solutions.
You will harness your passion for problem solving and attention to detail to design solutions that leverage a variety of technologies, platforms, infrastructure, and automated or manual delivery mechanisms in a manner that best suits the use case while limiting collateral technical debt.
What you’ll be doing
Working as a Solution Architect, you will be responsible for understanding the end-to-end data flows, all functional and non-functional requirements, and will design solutions to deliver a number of concurrent use-cases.
With a newly established AWS, greenfield data estate, you will be responsible for understanding how data needs to flow from these environments to a suitable compute instance, and then be delivered to the stakeholders per requirements defined by the use-case for Analytics.
You will work closely with a team of data scientists (Analytics Centre of Excellence), a data engineering consultancy practice, and several autonomous proposition teams that you can leverage to help you conjure and create solutions that are fit for purpose and deliver incredible value. As such, your solution designs will serve as the blueprint for the implementation and industrialisation of individual analytics use cases.
With an existing data estate that spans Hadoop, Teradata, MSSQL, and SAS environments, you will need to have a strong understanding of these environments to leverage all technologies when designing solutions for our users
As the position evolves to include more cloud-based solutions in conjunction with on-premise delivery designs, you will be leveraged for your thought leadership to help make the Data and Analytics Solution Design practice best in class for cloud-based analytics delivery.
As a self-starter, you will be able to prioritise activity, project positivity, independently solve problems and make an impact within a highly pressuring environment. If you love being creative in solving problems through technology, you will thoroughly enjoy this position.
We ask that you have:
- Big Data and / or Cloud – Experience working on Big Data and/or Cloud based solutions.
- Problem Solving – Strong experience in breaking down a problem statement, understanding how to fulfil the requirements necessary for delivery,
- Delivery Experience – Demonstrable experience of delivering solutions that cobble together numerous technologies and systems in a performant manner.
- Technical Acumen – Knowledge of or passion for learning the quirks of different database design constructs, network protocols and boundaries, data transfer mechanisms and scheduling.
- Detail-Oriented or Detail-Obsessive Approach – Especially with regard to translating requirements into technical specifications (some data asset/attribute related),
- Cross-functional Experience – Experience working across multiple domains within an organisation, with an appreciation of where data is collected and how data is used.
- Passion for Improving – A passion for problem solving and personal drive that extends beyond the technical.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday, pro rata
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So, if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application. If successful, you can expect a technical assessment followed by competency interview.