Senior UX Designer
Senior UX Designer
- Location(s): UK Wide
- Salary: Competitive
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Ref: R00TR01423
- Closing Date: 24 May 2022
- We're happy to consider flexible working approaches for this role
As our name suggests, here in Service & Experience Design, we’re responsible for defining, designing and delivering frictionless, useful experiences that help our members manage their money and look after what matters to them in life. We research, we iterate, we craft, we strive – and we do it all to make sure our members have experiences that are memorable, for all the right reasons, on every channel.
We’re building a best-in-class design and research capability to deepen our understanding of our members’ ever-changing needs, expectations and behaviour, and put design thinking at the heart of all that we do. It’s no small feat but we’re lucky enough to have a team of 60+ UX Designers, Researchers , Content Designers, UI Designers working together to make it happen – not to mention great perks and a culture to be proud of.
Your success isn’t based on how long you spend at your desk. You’ll have contracted hours, but we’re always happy to support flexible working wherever we can. That might mean working from home or different Nationwide offices or agreeing a working pattern to help you balance work and life. We will always strive to find a way that works for everyone.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
Working end to end in true cross-functional teams, you’ll get to help shape the future of Nationwide’s products and services. No stranger to collaborating in Agile environments, you’ll work collaboratively within a team of Service Designers, Content Designers, UI Designers and Developers to create exemplary experiences and services – whether you’re sketching, requirement gathering or researching together.
You’ll be instrumental in identifying opportunities and shaping the direction of solutions. And, by utilising your tried and tested UX design skills, be responsible for creating and delivering experiences and services that are engaging and meet the needs of those that interact with them.
Day-to-day you’ll have responsibility for design activities including hands on creation of deliverables through all stages of the project including research, ideation, prototyping, information design, interaction design.
You’ll be a creative professional, who’s used to working closely and collaboratively with in-house creative, product, proposition, content and commercial teams to realise strategic objectives and ensure a consistent user experience across journeys. You’ll need to be prepared to show flexibility and work with momentum. We’re looking for a collaborator who can work with a passionate team of colleagues to deliver ‘at pace’ and challenge and influence effectively to drive the right outcomes.
- Demonstrable experience of researching, defining and designing, experiences and services
- Confident in collating and analysing both qualitative and quantitative data to make informed design decisions, that balance user and business needs.
- Good knowledge of the experience design/user experience practice and the ability to use the appropriate methods, activities and tools to create delightful experiences and services – you’ll be very hands on, so roll up your sleeves
- The ability to bring ideas to life through sketching and using industry standard software/tools and language – we like to realise ideas at speed and have a culture that supports rapid and iterative create, test and learn
- An unerring attention to detail and a keenness to become a master of your craft – your deliverables are held up as examples of how things should be done
- Experience of working in fast-paced Agile Sprints with multi-disciplinary teams and being able to take a pragmatic approach to meet tight deadlines, without compromising on quality.
- Empathy and creativity in equal measures – your ability to understand people’s needs, behaviours and motivations, and knack for solving for their problems, is your super-power
- Brilliant people skills and the proven ability to influence wide-ranging stakeholders, often with conflicting priorities, to define, design and deliver the best possible solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an aptitude for storytelling and presenting your ideas and opinions in a thoughtful and engaging way
- A love of learning! Not one to rest on your laurels, you’ll bring an open mind and be happy to learn, flex and adapt.
We’re also interested in who you are as a person. Why? Because our membership is made up of so many different kinds of people, so we want our employees to be just as diverse. We’d love to hear about:
- Your values, and what makes you who you are
- How you’d make a difference to our members in this role
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday
Why work at Nationwide
We’re a building society founded by ordinary people, our members, who came together to help each other get the most from their money, buy homes and save for their futures. For over 130 years, we’ve supported each other and our communities, and we’ve done the right thing for wider society too.
If you come to work here at Nationwide, you’ll be part of that. Part of something a bit different. And something really quite special.
What’s more, we have a strong ethic of care for each other and our members. We recognise that our employees feel most appreciated when their thoughts and values are respected and considered. We’re committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. So if you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured, and you feel empowered to contribute, then please apply and help us in building society, nationwide.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us. We’d also like to see a portfolio of some of your work.
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application and if you’ll be moving forwards to a remote assessment.