Senior Technology Architect - Data
As a Senior Technology Architect for Data, you will be working in the Technology Architecture team within the Chief Technology Office (CTO). You will be informing the technical vision, providing architectural governance, and managing enterprise data assets for the organisation. You will collaborate with a wide variety of stakeholders, vendors, and partners from across technology, delivery, and product. You will also be responsible for supporting key initiatives and outcomes where you will provide oversight, direction, and expertise, while maintaining alignment to our IT Strategy.
This role sits within the Technology Architecture team within the CTO and reports directly into the Principal Architect for Data Technologies. The team is responsible for defining the standards, and guidance for data technologies ensuring that all deliveries align to our guardrails and our enterprise data technology assets.
We have an ambitious strategy to transform and simplify our technology landscape in support of servicing members for the future, with core focus being:
- Data Technology Best Practise: Managing the introduction of new data technologies into the organisation, and ensuring they are used in the correct way.
- Data Technology Governance: Ensuring data is managed in a standardised manner, in line with our guardrails.
- Enterprise Data Model: Extending the model, and ensuring the model is leveraged across the organisation.
- Reference Architectures: Defining the data capabilities that the organisation uses and mapping these capabilities to technologies and use-cases.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a new team at a time of real change, where you will be at the heart of driving our data agenda and able to make a real impact. The successful candidate will have a broad range of senior data architecture experience together with a sound understanding of financial services.
At Nationwide we offer hybrid working wherever possible. More rewarding relationships are supported through our hybrid approach, bringing colleagues together across our UK wide estate, whilst also supporting generous access to home working. We value our time in the office to solve problems, to learn, and to feel connected.
For this job you'll spend at least two days per week, or if part time you'll spend 40% of your working time, at one of our offices. If your application is successful, your hiring manager will provide further details on how this works. You can also find out more about our approach to hybrid working here.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
You will be a key part of the Technology Architecture team. You will play a pivotal role in connecting and facilitating alignment of the data technologies to business and IT Strategies from across the society through working with colleagues from Enterprise Architecture alongside Senior Technical Architects and Engineers from our other functions.
You will be accountable for data technology architectural governance and best practise ensuring solutions are delivered in a standardised manner. You will both develop ensure alignment to data technology: patterns; standards; and guardrails.
You will lead on the development of our Enterprise Data Model, working closely with the Business, our Architects and colleagues in Enterprise Architecture to ensure the model supports future business and technology needs.
You will provide the point of expertise/consultancy for key data technology issues – responding with structured, sound, and informed options to enable change initiatives and their sponsors to make informed decisions.
We need someone with applied experience of:
- Data architecture in a Tier 1 UK financial services organisation (or similar regulated environment), covering some or all of Enterprise Data Modelling and Data Reference architectures.
- Leading on data technology evaluations and supplier/product selection processes.
- Hands-on experience of data technologies. Such as the Cloud (Azure/AWS), MongoDB, Kafka, Databricks, Snowflake and SQL Server.
- Excellent verbal and written communication with a proven track record of stakeholder engagement and influencing both business and technical stakeholders.
Ideally you will also have:
- Experience of delivering data technology transformation programmes.
- Exposure to regulations such as GDPR, BCBS239 and IFRS9.
- Experience of architectural governance.
- Experience working as an architect within agile methodologies.
- Exposure to ISO 20022.
Our Customer First behaviours are all about putting customers and members at the heart of how we work together. You can strengthen your application by showing the behaviours that resonate with you, and how you might have already demonstrated these.
- Say it straight - This is about being honest and direct with good intent and saying what needs to be said in the room. It’s also about being clear, precise, and using language that we and, importantly, our customers and members can understand.
- Push for better - This is about aiming high and constantly looking for better in how we work together and serve our customers and members.
- Get it done - This is about prioritising what will have the greatest impact, being decisive and taking accountability for delivering on the end-to-end outcome.
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Gympass – Access to a range of free and paid options for health and wellness.
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 30 days holiday, pro rata
- Status car allowance
- Individual healthcare cover
What makes us different
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. With over 15 million customers, we have a relationship with almost a quarter of the UK’s population. We’ve got the scale to compete with the big banks, but we’re not a bank.
As a building society, we’re owned by our members – that’s our customers who have their current account, mortgage or savings with us. It means we can do things differently to deliver our Purpose – Banking – but fairer, more rewarding, and for the good of society.
When you work at Nationwide, you can experience that difference for yourself. You’ll be part of a high-performing, purpose-driven organisation that offers rewarding career experiences and a highly competitive range of benefits to match. You’ll also be joining us at an important time as we seek to reach more and more people in the UK. We want everyone in the UK to know that they don’t have to bank with a bank. They can choose a modern mutual instead.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up-to-date CV and answer a few quick questions for us.
We respond to everyone, so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.
Financial Reward Package
To see a ball-park figure of how the pounds in your pocket could add up, put a salary figure in the box below and hit the Calculate Now button. As if by magic, a chart will appear giving an indication of what these financial benefits could look like.
Calculate your reward
Enter your salary and we will calculate your overall reward.
This is the total amount you earn per year
The figures and percentages shown here are an illustration only. Your actual salary and benefits will be detailed in your contract of employment if you join us. For example, your role could include a car allowance, relocation expenses or other benefits not shown here.
Here’s the legal bit: The infographic is an indicative summary of some of the key benefits which you may receive if you are employed by Nationwide and these are subject to variation by Nationwide at its discretion. If you work part-time, some benefits may be pro-rated. This document provides an illustrative summary only and does not create any contractual rights.