Lead Business Intelligence Specialist
Data & Functions Technology Delivery exists to provide a broad range of data products to colleagues across the Society. We require an experienced Lead BI Specialist (Developer) to create insights that support customer journey analytics, proposition development and problem resolution, as part of that Community
You will be part of a community of Data and Technology practitioners whose collective role is to enhance value through data and helping colleagues across the Society to unlock value by utilising your expert capability and skills. From a task perspective, you will be leading the delivery of analytics and focussing on delivering shared outcomes that you have helped prioritise in collaboration with the business areas you help to support. As a Lead BI Specialist, you will be expected to provide coaching and mentoring to colleagues across the BI Centre of Excellence and invest time in growing collective capability in the CoE through your core area of expertise (BI development).
At Nationwide we offer hybrid working wherever possible. More rewarding relationships are supported through our hybrid approach, bringing colleagues together across our UK wide estate, whilst also supporting generous access to home working. We value our time in the office to solve problems, to learn, and to feel connected.
For this job you'll spend at least two days per week, or if part time you'll spend 40% of your working time, at our London or Swindon office. If your application is successful, your hiring manager will provide further details on how this works. You can also find out more about our approach to hybrid working here.
If we receive a high volume of relevant applications, we may close the advert earlier than the advertised date, so please apply as soon as you can.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be focussed on delivering actionable insight, ensuring our business stakeholders’ needs are met and bringing your knowledge and experience to exceed expectations. You’ll be able to identify opportunities to deliver ‘more’ and take ownership for ensuring things are done correctly.
Providing a broad range of data products across the Society means the work is varied and you’ll apply your skills to supporting a variety of subjects such as Customer Journey Analytics, Proposition Development, unlocking insights to support Channel developments, or supporting resolution of Member operational incidents with auditable well controlled data.
Working as part of a team, you’ll be the first point of contact for providing support and guidance to other team members or colleagues who are learning about the value of using data visualisation to generate insights.
- Have extensive, demonstrable expertise and knowledge in analytics technologies (preferably SAS, either Base or Enterprise Guide), alongside a deep knowledge of the full range of analytics techniques to get to the optimal outcome and deliver insight.
- Demonstrable experience reading and writing complex SAS code
- Experience of leading end-to-end delivery in a fast-paced reporting role working to tight deadlines and developing high quality guided insight dashboards.
- Ability to provide highly-effective subject matter expertise to both internal and external stakeholders, from interpreting complex data sources to translating complex data findings into insightful and actionable dashboards.
- Ability to share best practice ideas from your experience and coach/mentor other visualisation professionals within a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Be curious, innovative, creative and agile, developing and championing new ideas, spotting opportunities, and learning fast along the way.
- Influential, personally resilient, with exceptional written and verbal communication whilst being able to build and maintain good relationships across all levels.
Our Customer First behaviours are all about putting customers and members at the heart of how we work together. You can strengthen your application by showing the behaviours that resonate with you, and how you might have already demonstrated these.
- Say it straight - This is about being honest and direct with good intent and saying what needs to be said in the room. It’s also about being clear, precise, and using language that we and, importantly, our customers and members can understand.
- Push for better - This is about aiming high and constantly looking for better in how we work together and serve our customers and members.
- Get it done - This is about prioritising what will have the greatest impact, being decisive and taking accountability for delivering on the end-to-end outcome.
We know applying for jobs can sometimes feel like you’re sending an application into a black hole. We review each application individually. So, it’s a good idea to call out your most relevant experience on your application to give yourself the best chance.
The extras you’ll get
There are all sorts of employee benefits available at Nationwide, including:
- A personal pension – if you put in 7% of your salary, we’ll top up by a further 16%
- Up to 2 days of paid volunteering a year
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- A great selection of additional benefits through our salary sacrifice scheme
- Gympass – Access to a range of free and paid options for health and wellness.
- Access to an annual performance related bonus
- Access to training to help you develop and progress your career
- 25 days holiday pro rata
What makes us different
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. With over 15 million customers, we have a relationship with almost a quarter of the UK’s population. We’ve got the scale to compete with the big banks, but we’re not a bank.
As a building society, we’re owned by our members – that’s our customers who have their current account, mortgage or savings with us. It means we can do things differently to deliver our Purpose – Banking – but fairer, more rewarding, and for the good of society.
When you work at Nationwide, you can experience that difference for yourself. You’ll be part of a high-performing, purpose-driven organisation that offers rewarding career experiences and a highly competitive range of benefits to match. You’ll also be joining us at an important time as we seek to reach more and more people in the UK. We want everyone in the UK to know that they don’t have to bank with a bank. They can choose a modern mutual instead.
What to do next
If this role is for you, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You’ll need to attach your up to date CV and answer a few quick questions for us..
We respond to everyone, and so we will be in contact shortly after the closing date to let you know the outcome of your application.
Financial Reward Package
To see a ball-park figure of how the pounds in your pocket could add up, put a salary figure in the box below and hit the Calculate Now button. As if by magic, a chart will appear giving an indication of what these financial benefits could look like.
Calculate your reward
Enter your salary and we will calculate your overall reward.
This is the total amount you earn per year
The figures and percentages shown here are an illustration only. Your actual salary and benefits will be detailed in your contract of employment if you join us. For example, your role could include a car allowance, relocation expenses or other benefits not shown here.
Here’s the legal bit: The infographic is an indicative summary of some of the key benefits which you may receive if you are employed by Nationwide and these are subject to variation by Nationwide at its discretion. If you work part-time, some benefits may be pro-rated. This document provides an illustrative summary only and does not create any contractual rights.