Data Protection Specialist (Senior Manager)
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £54,231 - £88,126
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 26/07/2018
- Ref R001500317
• 2nd Line Data Protection (DP) Specialist in our Swindon Head Office
• Salary range from £54,231 to £88,126
• Full time, permanent contract
• Send in your application by 26th July 2018
We are moving into the next chapter of our Society’s history with a refreshed strategy, which allows us to leverage the benefits of mutuality and adapt to the ever-changing needs of our members. An organisation where we make a difference to our members’ and colleagues’ lives, driven by a desire to do the right thing, in the right way.
Our mutuality and brand purpose ‘Building Society Nationwide’ defines and differentiates us. Our reputation as a good employer reflects the very special culture and ethos of Nationwide, which is encapsulated in our values.
As a modern mutual, we are always striving to better ourselves to deliver an excellent service for all our members; services relevant to the digital age but with the continuing personal touch.
Reporting directly to the Data Protection Officer, you will be responsible for managing internal data protection activities. This will include monitoring and critically evaluating data protection risks and issues across the organisation and initiating remediation activities as required, working with the relevant first line risk owners. In addition, the role will deputise for the Data Protection Officer in their absence.
Why Data Protection (DP)?
This is an exciting time to join a newly created team within the 2nd line, accountable for managing internal data protection activities and owning the relationship with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Who we're looking for
We are looking for individuals with a combination of good analytical/problem solving skills and knowledge of GDPR and/or the Data Protection Act
Working closely with the DPO in supporting all areas of the Society that process personal data, you will have experience of working in a senior advice and oversight role. This may include relevance to personal member/employee data or using data to leverage value.
As a minimum requirement, you’ll have:
- Have a strong working knowledge of GDPR and the Data Protection Bill
- Have a good understanding of the data protection regulatory landscape and industry best practice
- Have significant experience in a management role in relation to data privacy and/or information security & governance
- Have deep experience of risk and issue management
- Have experience of managing or overseeing data protection impact assessments or a similar impact assessment process
- Possess strong communication and influencing skills with an ability to liaise effectively with senior stakeholders
It would also be preferable if you:
- Hold a recognised qualification that is relevant to Data Privacy
- Have experience working in a large financial services organisation
What you'll be doing
You will work closely with the First (Business Areas) Line of Defence, that process personal data. Specific responsibilities will include supporting the DPO by:
- Monitor and critically evaluate data protection risks and issues across our society and provide oversight for data privacy impact assessments (DPIAs), initiating remediation activities as necessary, working with 1st line teams as appropriate
- Build our capability and establish a network of functional specialists across the Society to share data privacy best practice, reduce risks to personal data and help drive our compliance journey
- Keep us at the forefront of Data Protection knowledge within the UK by monitoring changes in the data protection regulatory landscape such as external trends and the use of best practice in other organisations. You’ll be identifying key risks and issues and initiating improvement activities as necessary. You’ll participate in data privacy and protection events as necessary
- Draft data protection advice on behalf of the Data Protection Office (DPO) for senior leaders within the organisation
- Manage the implementation of external certification for the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), at the request of the DPO
- Oversee reporting to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and response to ICO requests
- Deputise for the DPO during periods of absence and when the DPO is diverted to serious incidents
Being able to demonstrate a range of experience from the above could help support your application.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 30 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
- Car/ Car allowance worth £4,656