Head of Product Regulation
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary Competitive
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 21/10/2018
- Ref R002203122
- A Head of Product Regulation to join a first line Risk team based at our Head Offices in Swindon or London, with 3 days travel to Swindon.
- Competitive Package
- This is a permanent opportunity working 35 hours per week
Relationships and Distribution, Products & Proposition and Strategy
The key accountabilities of the communities are to deliver a member centric strategy, great member propositions and outstanding service and outcomes, ensuring we connect with them in the right way at the right time.
Risk and Control
All Risk, Control and Compliance activity for the three communities is being integrated into one Risk Director who is responsible for strategic leadership of 1st line risk management and compliance advice for the R&D, P&P and Strategy. The Director is responsible for proactively overseeing the approach to Conduct, Regulatory, Customer and Operational Risk and Governance, ensuring compliance with recognised best practice and the Society’s risk appetite and regulatory requirements.
The Risk and Compliance team comprises over 250 specialists who collectively manage all 1st line compliance, risk, governance, controls and reporting for all of Nationwide’s member propositions, products, channels, call centres, collections and recovery activity, member services and complaints, financial planning and mobile and digital activity. In addition, the team provides process risk and control insight and undertakes significant control testing.
Who we're looking for
You will have:
- Experience with a well-codified and mature risk management framework and of working and influencing peers, regulators and industry bodies within Financial Services.
- Long-term, practical experience of interpreting, influencing and delivering significant regulatory change.
- Outstanding leadership skills, both with the direct team and across all senior stakeholders.
- Significant experience in setting strategic direction and delivering a multi-year, cross business vision.
- The ability to make good decisions, influence senior leaders and the Executive, and maintain both a collaborative approach and independence of thought.
- Successful experience in role focused on indirect influence, for example consulting, regulating or provision of professional services.
- The personal confidence, gravitas and resilience to offer constructive challenge to executives significantly more senior than yourself and to effectively co-ordinate the wider risk management community.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and influencing skills supported by a sound commercial and organisational awareness.
What you'll be doing
In this senior and significant role you’ll create, lead and develop the first line Compliance function for Relationships & Distribution and Product & Proposition. You’ll be responsible for setting strategic direction to drive, achieve and effectively oversee systematic regulatory compliance across the 1st line communities within remit and across all product and member propositions. You’ll focus on influencing regulatory change and identifying opportunity to appropriately leverage the regulatory framework to deliver strategic benefit to the Society and members and owning the influencing first line regulatory relationships. You’ll also;
- Own, lead, design and delivery of a first line community-wide framework and culture that assesses, achieves and maintains regulatory compliance in a secure and sustainable way, whilst preserving the Society’s reputation by controlling regulatory risk exposures, minimising losses and providing direction and guidance throughout the communities within remit and across all member propositions.
- Proactively scan, interpret, advise, challenge and brief the Community Leaders / their Executive teams on all current and emerging regulatory risk and opportunity and, as a result, delivery of tangible actions that have strategic benefit to the Society and its members.
- Design, develop and embed systems supported by a robust and effective capability to support appropriate member outcomes and regulatory compliance across the end to end product lifecycle.
- Be accountable for the delivery of a sustainable and systematic capability that enables in-scope Communities to proactively understand, size, deliver and assure that regulatory change has been delivered in an effective and efficient way.
- Set strategic direction, deliver and maintain an effective investigation, detection and prevention process in relation to regulatory compliance either directly or through oversight of 1st line activity.
- Proactively and systematically up-weighting Communities’ compliance capability helping managers at all levels across communities to ensure that sound understanding and delivery of regulatory compliance is embedded at an operational level within the business, and that staff at all levels are aware of and manage compliance as a core part of their responsibilities.
- Be accountable for understanding, reporting on the current and future regulatory landscape for the communities across the product life and influencing regulatory thinking and practices.
- Provide strategic direction and supporting processes to in-scope communities on opportunities to leverage the regulatory framework for the benefit of members.
- Own and shape first line relationships with key regulators, industry bodies and peers, effectively influencing future regulatory change to be proportionate and beneficial to consumers.
The extras you'll get
When you put a lot in, it’s only fair to expect a lot out. Therefore, when you help us do the right thing for our customers we want to reward you. As well as your salary, additional benefits include 30 days holiday (on top of bank holidays), an executive car or cash allowance, a competitive pension, private healthcare for your family plus executive health screening every 2 years, life assurance and a bonus scheme. If that wasn’t enough, you could also tailor your reward package by taking advantage of a range of flexible benefits.