Head of Risk Partnering
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary Competitive
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 21/10/2018
- Ref R002203121
- A Head of Risk Partnering to join our first line Risk team based at our Head Offices in Swindon or London, with 3 days travel to Swindon.
- Competitive Package
- This is a permanent opportunity working 35 hours per week
Relationships and Distribution, Products & Proposition and Strategy
The key accountabilities of the communities are to deliver a member centric strategy, great member propositions and outstanding service and outcomes, ensuring we connect with them in the right way at the right time.
Risk and Control
All Risk, Control and Compliance activity for the three communities is being integrated into the Risk Director who is responsible for strategic leadership of 1st line risk management and compliance advice for the R&D, P&P and Strategy. The Director is responsible for proactively overseeing the approach to Conduct, Regulatory, Customer and Operational Risk and Governance, ensuring compliance with recognised best practice and the Society’s risk appetite and regulatory requirements.
The Risk and Compliance team comprises over 250 specialists who collectively manage all 1st line compliance, risk, governance, controls and reporting for all of Nationwide’s member propositions, products, channels, call centres, collections and recovery activity, member services and complaints, financial planning and mobile and digital activity. In addition, the team provides process risk and control insight and undertakes significant control testing.
Who we're looking for
The main skills you will have:
- Significant experience of having worked in a regulated environment within Financial Services, either in a compliance, legal or business risk function or similar, with a well-developed understanding of risk management principles across the end to end product lifecycle.
- Proven, outstanding leadership skills experience with the ability to gain the trust of and manage the performance of staff at a range of levels (influencing up to Executive level), including the ability to coach and give effective development feedback
- Ability to comprehend and assimilate information rapidly whilst working in diverse complex business areas, and to work with business management to agree pragmatic and innovative solutions to regulatory issues.
- Ability to coach staff to analyse risk metrics and translate into predictive data and action plans that anticipate and mitigate risk exposures.
- Displaying analytical / creativity skills to resolve complex and strategic problems and/or establish alternatives where established procedures may not exist.
- Ability to think strategically, demonstrating thought leadership whilst being capable of translating concepts into effective solutions within acceptable timeframes and budgets.
- Proven negotiating, facilitation and influencing skills, including excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- A recognised qualification (such as the IRM Diploma) within a relevant Risk or Compliance activity (or be working towards in a reasonable time frame)
What you'll be doing
This is a senior and significant role. You’ll set strategic direction for the Risk Partnering team, stepping back and critically analysing data, processes, systems and controls to highlight and drive action to mitigate risks to members. In this role you’ll lead the function to identify and mitigate business risk, also ensuring a clear understanding of whether communities are operating within appetite, their risk profile and whether controls are operating in an effective way. You’ll provide provision of thought direction, practical, objective and expert support and challenge to Material Risk Takers (MRTs) and Community Leaders across the end to end member proposition to ensure sustainable and systematic delivery of good member outcomes. You’ll also;
- Shape, set and implement the Relationship & Distribution and Product & Proposition Risk Partnering strategy, developing an effective operating model that enables the provision of effective, efficient and robust risk consultancy throughout the product lifecycle.
- Challenge Community Leaders, MRTs, Executives and their direct reports to ensure effective consideration of Regulatory, Compliance and Business Risk impacts on strategy, policy, process & product development across the end to end member propositions.
- Understand and improve the Society’s risk profile, owning and leading relationships with Executive & Senior Leaders in 2nd line, IA, Oversight and Assurance functions whilst working alongside other Community Risk Leaders to influence Community and Society risk best practice.
- Set people strategy and provide outstanding leadership and direction to a team of risk professionals to ensure a highly motivated and performing team that delivers effective risk assessment, key risk and control insight, monitoring and advice that ensures expected member outcomes are delivered across all propositions.
- Set strategic direction and lead process insight capability that promotes effective use of end-to-end process, risk and control collateral to improve business decision making, support process-led change and proportionate control management.
- Support strategic direction for our extensive programme to strengthen the control environment across the Society, leading the delivery and refresh of completed control declarations at an Accountable Executive level.
- Direct, deliver and maintain a programme of regularly assessing key risks, processes and controls, providing robust and reliable opinions on their adequacy and effectiveness across all member propositions. Maintain high value relationships at Community Leader and equivalent level with a sufficient depth of understanding of key business priorities and risks deliver high quality risk based outputs.
- Review and lead continuous improvement of risk management via provision of external insight on risk management, markets, horizon scanning and emerging regulatory thinking.
The extras you'll get
When you put a lot in, it’s only fair to expect a lot out. Therefore, when you help us do the right thing for our customers we want to reward you. As well as your salary, additional benefits include 30 days holiday (on top of bank holidays), an executive car or cash allowance, a competitive pension, private healthcare for your family plus executive health screening every 2 years, life assurance and a bonus scheme. If that wasn’t enough, you could also tailor your reward package by taking advantage of a range of flexible benefits.