- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £41,951 - £60,596
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 01/05/2018
- Ref R001500259
- Risk Manager in our Head Office, Swindon
- £41,951 - £60,596 a year on a 35-hour contract.
- Send in your application by 1st of May 2018
Do you have what it takes to influence, and instil confidence at the highest level? Do you aspire to apply your significant Risk Management know-how to influence the direction of our retail lending?
Prudential Risk Oversight (PRO) is made up of three teams (Financial and Strategic Risk, Model Risk and Credit Risk) that oversee the key prudential risks at Nationwide within the Enterprise Risk Management Framework. PRO identifies prudential risks, which broadly relate to asset quality, capital, liquidity, strategy, growth and business model and the models to support them.
You’ll be part of a team that provides an independent assessment and challenges the management of prudential risks by the first line teams in the Risk and Finance communities, and across Nationwide, generally. You and the wider team will advise the Board Risk Committee on risk appetite and the effectiveness of risk management.
The PRO vision is to create greater awareness of prudential risks, give confidence to key stakeholders, including the Board and regulators, and enable more informed and robust decisions that lead to better business outcomes for Nationwide members.
About Credit Risk Oversight
The team is responsible for overseeing Nationwide’s retail, commercial and treasury credit portfolios to make sure the Society’s lending in these areas aligns with the credit policies, processes and the appropriate level of risk for the Board. This ensures the Society is lending the right amount to the right customer and on the right terms.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement, you’ll:
- have experience in retail credit risk management roles within the financial sector;
- have experience in manipulating data within SAS to provide risk insights;
- have experience in leading credit and financial analysis;
- understand what it takes to develop robust credit risk proposals;
- be able to approach complex problems and apply a logical method to draw out appropriate insight;
- be a creative thinker, able to objectively review proposals to understand and measure the risks they present the Society;
- be an excellent communicator with the ability to influence across all levels.
What you'll be doing
It’s an exciting time to be involved in Prudential Risk Oversight, with increasing demand from the business looking to us to provide assurance and insight which supports decision making. This is where you’ll come in. You’ll work in a team of risk professionals who oversee the 1st line retail credit risk teams as credit strategy is developed and delivered, providing oversight to ensure that proposals are well thought through, risk controls are robust and portfolios are operating within risk appetite.
As a Risk Manager in Prudential Risk Oversight, you will provide oversight and challenge to the 1st Line to help define and deliver great risk management. You will do this by ensuring the Credit Risk Approach is embedded within their practices, and by providing valuable insight and challenge to first line proposals.
In addition, you will support processes already in place to identify and mitigate developing risks to the portfolio. You will support the delivery of a plan of regular reviews, taking the lead in reviews which are designed to highlight control weaknesses in the 1st line management of credit risk that may compromise the delivery of the Societies strategy.
You will undertake horizon scanning activities to gauge the society’s position against competitor/ peer performance and to ensure that regulatory standards are met. In performing this role, you will increase your knowledge and credibility by building strong working partnerships across the society. If you are looking to develop your stakeholder management skills and build your profile as a well-rounded trusted risk professional, then this is the job for you.
As a Risk Manager within Prudential Risk Oversight you will be responsible for working closely with the Financial and Strategic Risk Oversight teams to share knowledge and information to ensure we effectively ‘join the dots’ on risks and issues that cross risk categories to ensure our risk management remains robust.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme