Senior Risk Underwriter
- Location Bournemouth Administration Centre, South West England
- £27,212 - £39,307
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 19/03/2018
- Ref R001500237
• A Senior Risk Underwriter in our Bournemouth office.
• £27,212 to £39,307 a year on a permanent 35 hours per week contract (part time hours also considered)
• Send in your application by 19th March 2018
An experienced mortgage underwriter who can manually assess higher risk and more complex mortgage applications. Having held a lending mandate for some time, you will be able to assess complex scenarios to ensure that they are within our risk appetite. You’ll also be able to quality check, feedback and coach colleagues along with upholding exemplary customer service standards.
Who we're looking for
As a minimum requirement you’ll:
• Have experience of manually underwriting mortgages; able to investigate, identify and consider the risks associated with each application and apply the required guidelines combined with situational judgement to make lending decisions.
• Have the ability to assimilate information quickly and to apply well-reasoned and balanced judgement in arriving at a decision.
• Show initiative and confidence to make decisions, including saying “no” to more senior colleagues and third parties.
• Utilise excellent problem solving skills to support the resolution of complex scenarios needing additional judgment including complaints, whilst not compromising risk.
• Demonstrate extensive knowledge of the mortgage industry including regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
• Have the ability to self-motivate and thrive under pressure whilst maintaining accuracy and excellent service standards.
• Experience of proactively managing a pipeline of work
• Experience of quality checking, feeding back and coaching colleagues with associated improvements.
It would be nice if you also had:
• Experience of assessing full accounts
• Experience of assessing large buy to let portfolios
• Experience of underwriting a range of lending products e.g. Prime Residential, Buy to Let, Unsecured, etc.
• Flexibility to achieve and maintain competency in different lending policies, processes and systems.
What you'll be doing
• Achieve a High Risk Lending Mandate and exercise this across multiple mortgage products and lending policies.
• Make decisions which appropriately reflect the need to maximise new business and deliver good quality customer service, whilst minimising bad debts and the costs associated with credit collections.
• Make consistent, high quality risk assessment decisions under significant time pressures.
• Quality check colleagues, providing support and coaching using your detailed criteria and mortgage knowledge.
• Communicate decisions with introducers in a way that they will understand and accept
• Handle challenges to your decisions, staying resolute unless new and substantive information is provided.
• Manage a pipeline of mortgage applications efficiently, own and resolve issues as they arise and ensure the best possible customer experience.
• Take on some of the team manager responsibilities such as work planning/allocation as the need arises
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we’ll help further your career at Nationwide. As well as your salary, there’s life assurance, a pension and a recognition and rewards scheme. We think it’s a great place to work, and we’re not afraid of giving you praise when you’ve done well.