Senior Software Engineer (Senior Technical Specialist)
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- £41,951 - £60,596
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 23/03/2018
- Ref R001900472
- A Senior Software Engineer (Senior Technical Specialist), within our Savings Development Centre, located in Swindon
- Salary £41,951 to £60,596 per year (dependent on skills and experience), based on a permanent, 35 hours a week, contract
- Please send in your application by 23rd March 2018
At Nationwide we believe in putting our members’ needs first and are looking for individuals up-to-date with the latest developments in their fields, who strive to improve member experience through industry leading design, technical excellence and best practice.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for an IT professional (software engineer) with experience in application development, design and support - leading solutions across the Savings Administration Systems portfolio.
You’ll have experience working for an organisation that operates a complex technical portfolio with multiple objectives. You’ll be used to working in a challenging environment and can react with pace to changing demands.
You'll also be able to work with the business to define their requirements.
As a minimum requirement you will have:
- Demonstrable experience of using either Micro Focus COBOL or a flavour of mainframe COBOL typically, ICL or IBM mainframe. Working on medium to large legacy COBOL applications.
- Exposure to Transaction Processing System such as TPMS on ICL, or equivalent IBM mainframe TP systems, understanding the concepts of a transaction based system rather than a Batch system
o Message / response transaction pair to a remote system
o XFS (eXtensions for Financial Services)
o An appreciation of Microsoft technologies and experience of interfacing COBOL to .Net
- Ability to quickly understand problems and provide root cause analysis and resolution
Full appreciation of the Software Development Lifecycle and knowledge of Agile and DevOps methodologies.
- Have strong stakeholder management & engagement skills, effective at all levels
- Well-developed negotiation & facilitation skills
- Experience in task management & mentoring
It would be nice if you also had:
- Experience of working in the Financial Services industry
- Working with financial peripherals such as Passbook Printers, Card Swipe keyboards, Chip N Pin readers and Teller Assist Units (Cash Recyclers).
- Experience of data processing files e.g ISAM, VSAM.
- Experience of working with third party software & service providers, both onshore and offshore.
What you'll be doing
You will be working in the heart of the Savings Development Centre, focusing on delivery of technical solutions across both projects and releases.
Reporting to the Technical Lead, you will be responsible for:
- Production and review of designs and technical requirements across all environments
- Production and validation of estimates and quotes.
- Development and support of technical solutions to defined business requirements and/or functional specs, which adhere to Nationwide's development and quality standards.
- Lead and perform quality reviews of technical deliverables, promoting and governing good practice.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it’s only fair you should get a lot out. So if you help us do the right thing for our members, we’ll help further your career with us.
As part of our team you’ll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme