Senior Software Engineer
- Location Swindon Head Office, South West England
- Salary £34,960 - £72,709
- Contract type Permanent
- Closing date 06/06/2018
- Ref R001900492
Work on new levels… At the world’s largest building society
Nationwide is currently looking for ambitious and experienced Software Engineers to join our software delivery teams. This is a hugely exciting time to come on board as we roll out major change to our platforms, products and services. So, if you’re a greenfield thinker who thrives in evolving environments, we’d love to hear from you. You’ll be given the responsibility to see projects through from inception to delivery as part of new teams designing and delivering exciting new products for our members, using world leading technologies.
- Based at our Head Office in Swindon. Just an hour from London by train, with generous relocation package available
- Salary, we are looking for a range of people with a variety of experience and our salary offer will reflect this.
- Full time, permanent job with clear pathways to further development and promotion
- Access to technical learning, including sites such as Pluralsight
- Our packages include life assurance, pension, a recognition and rewards scheme, plus access to healthcare.
As an Architect or Engineer at Nationwide you will be a technical mentor, coder, app expert, cloud champion, thought leader and influencer.
We believe in getting our engineers and architects involved in all stages of the life cycle when we deliver a new product launch, project or systems upgrade. We want to expose them to as much of the full digital mix, as often as possible to create a richer and more inspiring environment, where ideas and people grow. Whether it’s revolutionising open banking, tightening up cyber security, evolving the latest world-class business platforms or bringing to life popular member apps.
You’ll already be comfortable juggling projects, handling complexity and immersing yourself in a team - and be ready to share your expertise with our emerging talent.
In return, we’ll give you the tools to work in the way that suits you, and make sure your voice is influential. We’ll look to you to add insight and value to every project and new initiative in your area, and give you the opportunity to further grow your commercial acumen, as well as your technical skills. Our promotional pathways are clear and well-trodden; and it’s in our company DNA to continually challenge our staff to be better, however technically proficient they are already.
Your peers will already look to you for leadership, and you’ll have experienced successes within teams responsible for rolling out significant platform launches and designs; you’ll have developed a practical knowledge and instinctive eye for what large tech departments require to deliver world class services; you’ll likely have worked on significant public facing websites with high daily traffic - perhaps in FinTech and banking, perhaps elsewhere.
You’ll know the importance of well written code, and be able to show us a few ways to get from A to Z. You’ll know how, and why, you build platforms to suit a service environment, and how best to present your analysis. Putting user experience first will already be second nature.
Who we're looking for
If you’ve had experience of the following, or similar, we’d love to hear from you.
- You’ve worked across a portfolio of technologies supporting the consistency of customer experience, ease of development, back office integration, speed to market and site performance
- Experience of configuration management technology and containers
- AWS, Cloud front, Cloudwatch, Keycloak, Docker and Kubernetes
- Cassandra/MongoDB, Kafka/Helix
- Jenkins, Nexus/Artifactory, Veracode, SonarQube
- Modern mobile development, architectures and best practices
- Worked extensively with design patterns and build Responsive customer facing websites
- Developed web scale cloud solutions, with, for example, REST
C#, ASP.net MVC, F#, TypeScript, SASS, Scala
- AWS, open-source pipeline and monitoring, API-driven and microservices-based architectures
- Understand how commodity servers, operating systems, and network devices perform.
Joel Score: 11/12
We’re working hard to improve our ‘Joel’ scores across the society. We need your help to spread the love, but here’s what we’ve already achieved in the teams that are leading the way;
- Do you use source control? Yes, we do. Pull-Request only for our CI pipeline.
- Can you make a build in one step? We can. Code verification, coverage, security analysis and deployment of Environments and Applications to production.
- Do you make daily builds? Yes, but we can do more.
- Do you have a bug database? Yes, it’ll go in the issue tracker if we don’t fix it straight away.
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code? Yes as a matter of course
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule? Yes, we track our progress on value delivered.
- Do you have a spec? Yes, plus performance metrics and usage.
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions? There’s a healthy buzz but you can breakout to a quiet spot as you wish.
- Do you use the best tools? Yes, and we support BYOD.
- Do you have testers? Testers, Test plans, Automation and a comprehensive test suite with sensible coverage. We’re always checking.
- Do new candidates write code during their interview? Yes, they do now.
- Do you do hallway usability testing? We should do more of this, but we’re evolving.
What you'll be doing
You’ll be at the frontline delivering our vision to our members. You’ll be designing systems used by millions every day, and sold to millions every day, on tv, billboards and online. You’ll be given the opportunity to work with the most up-to-date technologies and with teams around the world to deliver real change to our members.
Day to day you’ll be exploiting your experience of delivering first-class experiences in an Agile environment, be able to showcase your experience, involved in mentoring where needed, helping build our development process and strategies. You’ll drive continuous improvements across your assigned domain and promote best practice in your team through your actions and behaviours.
You’ll make valuable contributions to your team and lead by example, logging issues as they are discovered, developing solutions in a highly collaborative environment, and implementing them with your team. With end to end ownership, development and deployment you’ll be given a platform to lead by example.
That’s our mindset and our culture: we want you to nurture and value proactive habits and to develop contacts and relationships so things are done faster and more efficiently. We’ll expect you to get stuck in and have a go, knowing that sometimes to fail fast is to learn fast.
The extras you'll get
Building a society means giving everybody at Nationwide the opportunity to build their career and to find the right balance with life outside work. We aim to ensure that everyone, in every role, feels valued, recognised and rewarded.
As part of our team, you will receive:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we’ll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy’ up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
We’d love it if you joined our society. Click apply today and send us your CV to take the first step towards building society, nationwide.
Please note: To help us do the right thing by our members, all applicants will be subject to a criminal record and credit checks.