Graduate Development Programmes
Graduate Development Programme
If you're motivated, curious, a forward thinker, take pride in everything you do and just want to give things a go, we'll give you the platform to make a real difference at the world's largest Building Society.
You don't need to be a recent graduate to apply; we welcome applications from graduates of all ages.
Why choose Nationwide?
Graduate development programmes are excellent opportunities for fast career progression; you'll get a series of experiences (projects/placements); and we'll support you with structured training and development to help you reach your personal goals.
We'll also offer you:
- A competitive starting salary (£28,000 pa)
- Performance based annual bonus and benefits
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your skills
- A permanent contract
- 24 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
- The option to 'buy' up to 10 days more holiday
- A company pension where if you pay 7% we'll top it up to 23%
- Relocation assistance where applicable
A career at Nationwide has enormous scope and a huge range of opportunities, with new investments in technology and innovation as well as our established branch network.
What will I be doing on the Graduate Development Programme?
We look for a number of graduates to work in different business areas. This enables you to use your current skillset, learn new things and build on your expertise over 2 to 3 years.
The programme is designed to help you get a broad understanding of Nationwide as well as in depth knowledge of specific areas, there's plenty of variety.
In 2019, we have seven schemes available within our Graduate programme. Take a look to see which might interest you. You can select up to two options on your application.
In addition to your placement, we provide you with many opportunities to stretch and develop yourself further. To give you an idea, we've listed the types of activities previous years' cohorts have been involved with and what you could expect as part of your time here:
- Myers Briggs Personality Profile – reviewing your individual working style and understanding how this may help to develop strong working relationships.
- Mentoring - having a mentor from another part of the business to offer you support and advice.
- 100-day review - taking a chance to reflect and look back on your first 100-days in the society along with your peers.
- Group Workshops - How to influence others, Mind-set & Attitude - how to deal with stress & Understanding our business.
- Leadership Event - split across 3 days, the event helps you to get an understanding of what it takes to be an inspirational leader
- Business Projects - working in groups to deliver a project over the summer. Previous years have been involved in both charity and internal projects related to the society.
- Career Development Sessions - run by our Emerging Talent recruitment team, helping you to review your own potential looking to roll-off scheme. Such as interview techniques, hints and tips for making applications to a promotion.
NB. these activities may alter slightly for our 2019 intake but hopefully give you a flavour of what to expect.
Who helps me choose my placement areas?
Your Talent Development Manager will work with you and the business to help you find roles that match your interests and development areas as well as fulfilling the needs of the business. Together, you'll make sure your day to day work is challenging enough to meet your individual development needs.
What support will I get to help me meet and exceed my potential?
As part of the scheme you can expect:
- Exposure to current business leaders in the industry
- Involvement in real business projects with stretching targets
- Regular reviews with your line managers and Talent Development Manager, receiving constructive feedback on your performance.
- A platform to develop your core skills, such as communication, presentation and influencing skills
You'll also be encouraged and enabled to drive your own professional and personal development.
“ Finding a scheme which was highly suited to my career ambitions was key when choosing a placement, as was the opportunity to drive my own rotations to widen my experience. Nationwide's values also align closely to my own, so I was drawn into the culture of the company. ”