Graduate Development Programmes
Graduate Development Programme
If you're motivated, a good communicator and take pride in everything you do, we'll give you the platform to make a real difference at the world's largest Building Society.
You don't need to be a recent graduate to apply; we welcome applications from graduates of all ages.
Why choose the Nationwide?
Graduate development programmes often offer excellent opportunities for fast career progression; you'll work in a series of placements, and we'll support you with structured training and development to help you reach your personal goals.
We'll also offer you:
- A competitive starting salary (£28,000 p.a)
- Performance based annual bonus and benefits
- A permanent contract
- Private healthcare membership
- 24 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
- A company pension
- Relocation assistance where applicable
A career at Nationwide also offers enormous scope and UK wide opportunities; with new investments in technology and innovation as well as our established branch network.
“ Nationwide’s focus on their corporate social responsibility activities was really important to me as it highlighted Nationwide’s ethos of doing the right thing. ”
What will I be doing on the Graduate Development Programme?
We look for a number of graduates to work in specific business areas. This enables you to build on your expertise in one business area over 2 to 3 years.
You'll rotate within your chosen business area every 6-8 months, meaning you'll quickly get a broader understanding, and lots of variety in a short space of time.
In addition to your placement, we provide you with many opportunities to stretch and develop yourself further. To give you an idea, we've listed the types of activities previous years' cohorts have been involved with and what you could expect as part of your time on the programme.
- Myers Briggs Personality Profile – reviewing your individual working style and understanding how this may help to develop strong working relationships.
- Mentoring - having a mentor from a previous development programme to offer you support and advice.
- 100-day review - taking a chance to reflect and look back on your first 100-days in the society along with your peers.
- Group Workshops - How to influence others, Mind-set & Attitude - how to deal with stress & Understanding our business.
- Leadership Event - split across 3-days, the event helps you to get an understanding of what it takes to be an inspirational leader
- Business Projects - working in groups to deliver a project over the summer. Previous years have been involved in both charity and internal projects related to the society.
- Career Development Sessions - run by our Emerging Talent recruitment team, helping you to review your own potential looking to roll-off scheme. Such as interview techniques, hints and tips for making applications to a promotion.
NB. these activities may alter slightly for our 2018 intake but hopefully give you a flavour of what to expect.
Who helps me choose my placement areas?
A Placement Manager will work with you to secure roles that match your interests, degree, and previous experience. They'll also liaise with the business to ensure that day to day your work is challenging enough to meet your individual development needs.
What support will I get to help me meet and exceed my potential?
As part of the scheme you can expect:
- Exposure to current business leaders in the industry
- Involvement in real business projects with stretching targets
- Regular reviews with your line managers and Placement Manager, receiving constructive feedback on your performance.
- A platform to develop your core skills, such as communication, presentation and influencing skills
You'll also be encouraged and enabled to drive your own professional and personal development.
“ Finding a scheme which was highly suited to my career ambitions was key when choosing a placement, as was the opportunity to drive my own rotations to widen my experience. Nationwide's values also align closely to my own, so I was drawn into the culture of the company. ”
Find out more
Applying for our graduate scheme
The application window for 2018 is now closed. If you're interested in our graduate schemes then keep an eye out for our 2019 vacancies in the autumn.
Find out more about our application process here.