There are a number of different titles for an Industrial Placement, including 'Sandwich Placement', 'Placement Year' and 'Year in Industry' to name a few. At Nationwide, Industrial Placements are structured programmes where you spend an entire academic year working with us as a full-time member of staff, before returning to university for your final year.
What are Industrial Placements?
They generally take place after your second year at university and provide you with the opportunity to gain all-important work experience and employability skills before graduating. For many degrees they're optional, but for some it is a compulsory component of the university course.
“ I think that you can learn all sorts of important things through textbooks and lectures which are fundamental to job performance but there are certain things which you simply cannot be taught – some things you have to experience first-hand. ”
Why choose Nationwide?
At Nationwide, we offer you a valuable first look at what it's like to work for us, whilst giving you real responsibility and accountability during your Industrial Placement. Once you join, we'll:
- Give you a real job - you'll be contributing to the organisation while you learn
- Pay you £17,507 per year
- Give you 24 holidays per year, on top of national Bank Holidays
Following your time with us, you may like to consider applying for our graduate programme or even a permanent role.
What types of role do Nationwide offer?
Watch the below to see a few of the careers we offer.
Meet the team
They're a great opportunity for you to:
- Apply skills and knowledge you have gained during your initial years at university to practical problems in 'real-life' situations.
- Get a better understanding of your chosen job sector and understand a working environment.
- Give you a stronger chance of securing a graduate scheme place with the same employer.
- Gain useful skills for any future employment.
“ It was important to me that I work for an organisation that has a good set of values, that are in line with my own. I also wanted an organisation where I could grow and develop skills I’d learnt whilst at university, I felt that Nationwide was perfect for that. ”
Find out more
Applying for our Industrial placement scheme
The application window for 2018 is now closed. If you're interested in our industrial placement scheme then keep an eye out for our 2019 vacancies in the autumn.
Find out more about our application process here.