There are a number of different titles for an Industrial Placement, including 'Sandwich Placement', 'Placement Year' and 'Year in Industry' to name a few. At Nationwide, Industrial Placements are structured programmes where you spend an entire academic year working with us as a full-time employee, before returning to university for your final year.
What are Industrial Placements?
They generally take place after your second year at university and provide you with the opportunity to gain all-important work experience and employability skills before graduating. For many degrees they're optional, but for some it is a compulsory component of the university course.
Applications for our 2019 intake are now closed.
“ I think that you can learn all sorts of important things through textbooks and lectures which are fundamental to job performance but there are certain things which you simply cannot be taught – some things you have to experience first-hand. ”
Why choose Nationwide?
At Nationwide, we offer you a valuable first look at what it's like to work for us, whilst giving you real responsibility and accountability during your Industrial Placement. Once you join, we'll:
- Give you a real job - you'll be contributing to the organisation while you learn
- Pay you £17,682 per year
- Give you 24 holidays per year, on top of national Bank Holidays
Following your time with us, we may even be able to offer you a place on one of our graduate programmes for when you finish your degree.
What types of role do Nationwide offer?
Watch the below to see a few of the careers we offer.
In 2019, we have six schemes available to Industrial Placements. Take a look to see which might interest you. You can select up to two options on your application.
- Change (Applications for this programme are now closed for 2019)
- Customer and Employee Experience (Applications for this programme are now closed for 2019)
- Modelling (Applications for this programme are now closed for 2019)
- Analyst (Applications for this programme are now closed for 2019)
- Finance (Applications for this programme are now closed for 2019)
- Risk (Applications for this programme are now closed for 2019)
We also offer a 12 month IT Industrial Placement within our Technology Development Programme where you’ll be aligned to one of our key technical areas. Click here to learn more but please note all TDP Industrial Placements have been filled for 2019.
Meet the team
They're a great opportunity for you to:
- Apply skills and knowledge you have gained during your initial years at university to practical problems in 'real-life' situations.
- Get a better understanding of your chosen job sector and understand a working environment.
- Give you a stronger chance of securing a graduate scheme place with the same employer.
- Gain useful skills for any future employment.
“ It was important to me that I work for an organisation that has a good set of values, that are in line with my own. I also wanted an organisation where I could grow and develop skills I’d learnt whilst at university, I felt that Nationwide was perfect for that. ”