Get your IT career started
Start your IT career with the Technical Development Programme
The Technical Development Programme, also known externally as The Technology Development Programme (TDP) is a two year specialist development programme based in the Operations & Delivery Community of Nationwide which covers all of our IT business areas.
The programme is open to both graduates and those without a degree, aiming to provide you with the experience, support, qualifications and development that you need at the start of building your career within IT. The TDP not only offers the opportunity to help you onto a clear career path but includes benefits such as £28k starting salary and a relocation package should you need it.
Why choose a career in IT?
We only use real employees on our careers site. Watch the below to find out what the TDP really had to say about the Technical Development Programme:
What would I be doing on the TDP?
The TDP is based in the Operations & Delivery Community. One of the main responsibilities for this community is to look after the change and maintenance of our IT systems and customer data. We look at everything from ensuring we maintain a 24/7 service, to protecting customer information and enhancing the customer experience.
Why choose the Technical Development Programme?
We will provide you with a first-hand view on how technical teams work together in a large organisation as well as personal development and professional technical qualifications. As well as a Scheme Manager, you’ll also receive buddies and mentors to support you throughout your time on the programme. Our aim is to give you a breadth of experience as well as the support you need early in your career to help you reach your potential and build a great future.
Whilst you will be based in one main business area throughout your programme, to develop your specialist skills and experience, we will make sure you get exposure to many of the change and run areas throughout the IT community that you will operate in.
Who helps me choose my placement areas?
A Placement Manager will work with you to secure roles that match your interests and previous experience. They'll also liaise with the business to ensure that day to day your work is challenging enough to meet your individual development needs.
In addition to on the job learning, we provide you with many opportunities to stretch and develop yourself further. To give you an idea, we've listed the types of activities previous years' cohorts have been involved with and what you could expect as part of your time on the programme:
- Technical Innovation Project – working with at least one of our high profile strategic partners you will design, develop and prototype a real business solution
- Myers Briggs Personality Profile – reviewing your individual working style and understanding how this may help to develop strong working relationships.
- Mentoring - having a mentor from a previous development programme to offer you support and advice.
- 100-day review - taking a chance to reflect and look back on your first 100-days in the society along with your peers.
- Leadership Training - How to influence others, Mind-set & Attitude - how to deal with stress & Understanding our business.
- Leadership Event - split across 3-days, the event helps you to get an understanding of what it takes to be an inspirational leader
- Business Projects - working in groups to deliver a project over the summer. Previous years have been involved in both charity and internal projects related to the society.
- Career Development Sessions - run by our Emerging Talent recruitment team, helping you to review your own potential post scheme. Such as interview techniques, hints and tips for making applications to a promotion.
“ Everyone on the programme looks out for each other – there’s such a range of people, ages and backgrounds it would be hard not to find someone you have something in common with. ”
Career progression & salary
Successful applicants can expect:
- A competitive starting salary (£28,000 p.a)
- Performance based annual bonus and benefits
- A permanent contract
- Private healthcare membership
- 24 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
- A company pension
- Relocation assistance
Want to know where the TDP could lead you? Take a look here to get an idea of roles and salary packages you could progress on to.
“ The development has been amazing, without hand-holding. I’ve been given all the tools to support my development, but the onus is still on me to drive it forward, so anything I’ve achieved, I can proudly say they are my own achievements ”
Find out more about our application process here.
Register your interest now!
We aren't currently taking applications for the TDP. However, you can register your interest now to be one of the first to find out when our vacancies are live. Register Now!