Join a team that's helping to shape digital innovation and FinTech in the UK
Our Digital Development Centres
Our Digital Development Centres
At Nationwide, our IT and Digital Development centres design & deliver high quality IT solutions for over 15 million Nationwide Building Society customers alongside our 20,000 colleagues. From our mobile and internet banking app through to mobile solutions for our branches, our teams are continually innovating and enabling the use of next generation technology.
“Building a Fintech, Nationwide …by enabling our greatest minds to
exploit technology to enhance our members’ lives”
The digital revolution has created a step change in customer expectations and behaviours especially for the younger “digital generation”. We have utilised agile methodologies to deliver features for our customers, at pace, and now starting to embark on a wider agile adoption to deliver full end to end customer journeys through Lean Proposition Design, Lean Customer Experience Design and Agile software delivery. Delivering the modern consumer needs across all customer facing channels.
What kind of things could you be working on?
To help us meet the constant pace of change, we're significantly expanding our Technical Practice and Release Management teams over the next three years. Allowing us to:
- Significantly extend Nationwide's entire enterprise middleware
- Create new point of sale systems which will mean customers can open accounts anytime and anywhere
- Mobilise our branches, by equipping our branch network with the technology to interact directly with our customers on the shop floor
- Shape how we continue to develop, test and deploy collaboratively across the business in the most time and cost efficient way
- Change to our digital estate in response to the latest Data Protection regulation, which will help to keep our members personal data safe
- Work in Partnership with our various global suppliers
What you can expect
We're the world's largest building society, as well as one of the largest savings providers and a top-three provider of mortgages in the UK. What's more, we're also a major provider of current accounts, credit cards and personal loans.
You can expect a wide range of career opportunities, commitment to personal development, alongside a secure and supportive culture which respects your work life balance. In addition you can also expect a generous pension and rewards scheme.
Where would I be working?
We have locations across the UK, including Swindon, London, Bournemouth and Northampton.
While the majority of our Digital Centre roles will be based at our principle office- which is conveniently situated just off the M4 corridor We also accommodate flexible working patterns and homeworking where appropriate.
“Nationwide exists for its members, this common purpose binds our Agile teams together and we now extending our ambition to drive Agile@Scale across the organisation. Our Digital technical teams are now fully co-located with the Mobile and Digital business with a transformed environment allowing fully enabled, cross-functional, teams to deliver with pace and efficiency and we are truly excited at what we can achieve.”
Building society, Nationwide: it's embedded in our culture
Innovation may be a continued focus, but we're a people led organisation at our core - which is why we continue to invest in our branch network and existing legacy systems. As you'd expect from a customer focused organisation, our digital teams also collaborate in a truly agile environment which is split across multiple open-plan locations, which includes a blend of onshore and offshore teams.
“Seeing the positivity with which our customers and employees interacted with Nationwide on social media definitely made me want to work here. It was a complete contrast to prevailing shouts of dissatisfaction and poor customer service that are the social media conversations of many other companies.”
Find out what it’s like
People interested in working at Nationwide have told us it’s great to be able to hear from those already working here. So, we asked some colleagues in Digital Development to talk on camera about their experiences. No script, just in their own words, tell us what it’s like. Take a look.
"We pretty much work on every project the Society is doing. We are the front end to the customer, their mobile, internet and wearable applications."
Andrew Donovan, Technical Lead, Digital Development Centre
"This is a big company that has the feeling of a small company. All the training is very personal, linked to your skills, and you will always find someone who can answer your questions."
Begonia Sepa, Technical Specialist, Digital Development Centre
"It’s not just about the whizziest things we can put in, it’s about what’s meaningful to the member, what gives them the best value. Also, the level of collaboration here – we all stay involved to the point of deployment."
Richard Rednall, Senior Technical Specialist, Technical Practice
"What’s good about working in Technical Practice is the level of opportunity; you can work at a very broad level or a very granular level, depending on where your skills lie."
Colin Winter, Senior Technical Specialist
Choosing your role
First up, you'll need to choose between two teams within our digital centre; our Technical practice and our Release Management team.
About Nationwide's Technical Practice
Our Technical Practice are looking for people that:
- Are experienced working with both onshore & offshore resources
- Digital Only; Have up to date knowledge of Mobile technologies and Service Oriented Architectures
- Middleware only; Possess up to date knowledge of Service Oriented Architecture technologies and methods
- Middleware only; Have experience designing performant, scalable & secure middleware applications
- We're looking for experienced Technical experts, so financial services experience is nice to have but not essential.
- Have strong stakeholder management & engagement skills, effective at all level
- Possess well-developed negotiation & facilitation skill
- Have experience in leading teams including task management & mentoring
- Where required, are able to work with the business defining their requirements
About Release Management at Nationwide
Our Release Management teams are looking for people that:
- Have experience in the Software Development Lifecycle of managing large scale deployments across sometimes complex projects or programs
- Demonstrate the following key behaviours; Agile, collaborative, inspires trust, shows leadership, is decisive and innovative
- Can build and lead a delivery team, manage multiple stakeholders and manage the project or release end to end
- Have experience of both onshore and offshore partner models
- Are experienced Technical experts (financial experience isn't required)
- Have great communication skills
- Are at ease with senior stakeholders and technical developers alike
We'll be hiring a number of experienced technical specialists over the next three years; our latest vacancies are shown below. Can't find a role for you? Simply register your interest in our Development Centre, and we'll call or email if we find something that matches your skills and experience.